E625 Fireball review by Engl

Engl: E625 Fireball

Purchased from: Private dealer

I use an Ibanez JS1000 loaded with tappable dimarzios. This is a suprisingly quiet amp being a brutal high gain monster n' all. Of course when you crank up the gain and volume you get some feedback and stuff but nothing a noise decimator wont solve. The amp boasts magnificent cleans, orgasmic low end distortion. But nothing in the middle. The pushed blues tones are good. Just not great. Same with the crunch. There is just something about crunch the amp wont do on it's own:/ But throw a nice OD infront and you're rolling. I think this amp sounds better with a little mid scooping as it is very mid heavy when all the knobs are midnighted. It has the best low end distortion out there apart from it's bigger brother the invader. Honestly, metal heads will NOT be dissapointed. The cleans are punchy and bass heavy when you engage the depth Switch, and with the bright Switch activated you get really articulate, clear and shiny tomes. It really cuts through a band aswell with s'more EQ-ing. The clean chanel should stay clean as you turn it up as long as the gain is behing the halfway point and the same with the ultra gain chanel. Turn up the volume turn down the gain. Logic right?

This amp suit's me perfectly as an all around player and was worth every penny. Considerably cheaper than a boogie Dual Rectifier and beats it hands down in tone. And if you wanna get really good mid gain tones too just buy a tubescreamer or something and still have some money left that you wouldn't if you bought that boggie.

1 Point off for the lack of good mid gain crunch and Drive.

I mainly play highish gain blues/shred. Joe Satriani kind of stuff. But I like to play mushroomhead and Slipknot and also t3h Pink floydz and beatles shizzz. Some Hendrix and SRV in there too. This amp handles all of these without breaking a sweat. I've been playing for roughly 6 and a half years and I have various stompboxes and my prior mentioned js1000. If it were stolen I would stolen I would find the guy and force a 747 up his ass / buy a new one in a heartbeat. The main contenders were the Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier and the Rivera Knucklehead. And I chose this one for the amazing tone it delivered.

Seems very solid. All metal grill and back and the knobs are securely on. On the first service in god knows how many years, the tech said that there was a little dust but nothing needed soldering. All was like new! Mine has had years of abuse and shown no signs of weakness. I gig her all the time with no backup. that's how much Faith I have in her not coping out. Literaly is built like a tank.

Not sure when this one was made but she seems to be "well travelled". 2 Chanels, clean and ultra gain. Shared EQ with master a/b, bass/mid/treble, presence, gain and a depth punch Switch and a bright Switch. No reverb. Great effects loop. Naturally, being all tube it has no headphone jack. In the price I got an Engl 4x12 cab and a z4 footswitch. I do reasonably sized gigs and practice whith a band and at home.

shreddymurphy
    My personal opinion is that these or any engl blow any mesa or marshall out of the water... Mesa and Marshall make good equiptment, but Engl makes far superior amps.
    CapnKickass
    cool. I tried one, I dunno if it was the guitar or the amp I couldn't get any sweet sounds out of it, it was probably the guitar..
    hoondog
    great amp. cant really compare it to the mesa tho. 2 totally different amps, if you like the fireball you may not like the mesa, and vice versa. but bottom line they both can do things that the other cant. ^ as to this fella i really think the powerball is overrated. i feel that the fireball is at least equal in tone, just less features. but they are both nasty amps hands down. go engl.
    Blas3
    Nice stuff, but can you tell me how much of power can it handle? I mean, watts.
    The^Unforgiven
    Blas3 wrote: Nice stuff, but can you tell me how much of power can it handle? I mean, watts.
    It's rated 60 watts I think. Also, man do I want this amp. It's so sweet and truly grants retirement for all your old distortion pedals.. *drool*
    wesselbindt
    As the unforgiven said, 60.