E625 Fireball review by Engl

Engl: E625 Fireball

Purchased from: with 2x12 cab

I've ran this amp with my ESP horizon with seymour duncans, my SC-607 seven string and my Fender telecaster and all of them sound amazing through it. My main playing style is tech, metal, hardcore (architects, arusha accord) but i achieve most tones in-between. There is minimum of hiss from the valves and the clean channel stays clear and crisp up to around the midway point on the volume dial. The distortion channel is pure genius. Engl have somehow made and amp that is just full of tone. No matter how you set it up, full on gain, just a bit of crunch, it has plenty of tone and feeling. It really compliments your playing rather than masking it.

If your after anything from thrash metal to lush blues try this amp out. It won't disappoint. My only bugbear is that it only has one eq channel. But for an amp thats RRP is under 1000 it is by far the best on the market. Not only can you keep it at low bedroom levels but also crank it for onstage. The only other company I can compare this amp too is a hughes and kettner, but then they are double the price of this.

Mine has unfortunately taken a heavy knock, by which i mean got booted by my bassist during some on stage antics. This took the mid pot dial and pot shaft straight off. Even with this though the amp still works and the mid pot still works if you clasped the remaining part of the pot shaft. I however got it replaced straight away and its now in full working order again. I have had no trouble with the amp at all. The valves sound perfect. The mechanics work fine and it has never let me down.

The Engl Fireball is a nice 60w, 2 channel all valve head. It can go from nice clear and crisp clean, Acoustic sounds to full blown high gain metal with ease. The 3 band EQmakes it easy to tweak settings and if you include a Boss ge-7 with your purchase you can really hone in on your sound. Along with the EQ there is a bright Switch and depth Switch which add emphasis to certain frequencies. The presence control is also sat nicely next to the two channel volume and adds a nice warmth to your sound. The head that I brought came with an aftermarket Switch pedal (not official) but works exactly the same. It comes with a nice effects loop and speaker outputs for 2x8 and 2x16 ohmns.