E625 Fireball review by Engl

Engl: E625 Fireball

Price paid: € 1000

Purchased from: Omnimusic Poland

It it plugged to a 4x12 Engl Standard Slanted cabinet. I use it mainly with my SG or a luthier-made singlecut (ceramic humbuckers, mahogany and alder, set neck). The amp sounds clear on any setup, the boosts ("Depth" and "Bright") work immediately and noticably as well. The clean chanel is really nice, you can hear every note and every nuance, little vibrato or whatever. You just can't get it dirty, even if you set every knob in the MAX position. Then comes the Drive chanel, which is an absolute killer. You can use it to provide most brutal sounds ever, as well as little crunchy stuff, when you set the gain around... 0.5. Watch out for the speaker-feedback, the pre-amp is VERY sensitive in Ultra Gain mode (drive chanel).

I have been playing seriously for 5 years. Heavy rock music and metal of all kinds. I love my Engl amp, I love its sound, I love its clean chanel, I love its Drive even more. I would never change it for anything else. I considered buing a Single Rectifier from Mesa (I found out Fireball has a WAY better clean chanel) or Peavey Triple (to shallow distortion IMO) - after I played this Engl for the first time I have never looked back.

Its body is solid and durable, I use it for nearly four years and it never let me down. I changed the tubes for the first time after using it for 3 years. Germans did a great job by precisely building every part of it.

As far as I know it was made in 2007. It is a simple, two-chanel amp with shared eq. Although it may appear to be a problem, it is not - as for me, I shall write about it later. 2 power tubes (6l6) gives us 60 watts of PURE POWER! It is a LOUD amp and it bites through the band, but it will not make everything else sound like a background. 4 pre-amp tubes take care for the rest. One thing: it comes with no footswitch included. I made a simple one myself: 1-clean chanel, Master A; 2-Drive chanel, Master B; it works perfect for me, and it is easy to make.

MOWMA
    Is the 60 watts loud enough to cut through at rehearsals and gigs? I love the ENGL tone and simplicity of this head, my only worry is the wattage.