Blues Custom 30 review by Epiphone

Epiphone: Blues Custom 30

Purchased from: Musician's Friend

I've tried my cheap strat knock-off with single coils. This gives a terrible tinny sound. I suspect I'd get the same effect though with any amp using this guitar. I mainly play my Ibanez Jetking2 with splitable humbuckers thru this amp, playing blues, classic rock. I also hook up a DigiTech DF-7 effects pedal when I'm looking for a little more crunch. This amp gives a real bluesy sound in the clean setting and classic crunch in the overdrive setting for classic rock sounds.

Overall Impression: I've only been playing for a few years now and this is the first tube amp I've owned. It may well be the last as I'm very happy with it. If it were stolen I'd buy another for sure. It is a great bargain given the price, sound, and build.

This amp is built like a tank, I've been playing it for about 6 months now and I'm still discovering new sounds with it. I don't foresee any problems. I don't gig, just play at home. I am planning on putting some castor wheels on it for ease of movement.

This is an all tube amp: preamp tubes, 5X Sovtek 12AX7A's, Power tubes- 2X Sovtek 5881s, Rectifier 1X 5AR4 (I believe it's also a Sovtek. This is a two channel amp, clean/overdrive. It is switchable from 15-30 watts. Weight: ~70lbs (heavy). Nice vintage look with the creamy white piping around the grill cloth and chicken head knobs. It's got two 12" Eminence Lady Luck speakers rated at 70 watts each. A fan is located in the back for keeping things cool. No headphone jack or effects loop.

qotsa1998
    I rly want to get this, as with a few effects, it seems like a rly good, versatile amp with the rectifier in it. a heavy od pedal and a Fat Strat, and u could theoretically get any sound u want out of it.
    the-kid66
    ive tried out a firefly and was so impressed i bet this thing blows that out of the water
    V_mike
    Woah, just got mine in yesterday. Gotta play with all the knobs a lot more, then I'll review. Man, the footswitch sure does come in handy.
    zerodeck
    seems like a very nice amp, too bad there are no effect loops or heaphone jack epiphone rules!