Blues Custom 30 review by Epiphone

Epiphone: Blues Custom 30

Purchased from: eBay

I play it with a Les Paul and a Strat. Sound great with both, very bluesy and the reverb is very lush and lively. Very good for blues or classis rock, or for country or jazz. I can get a bit noisy when the guitar input is extremely high, but other than that, no unbearable amount of feedback. The amp can get a great variety of sounds from clean and chimey to down and dirty all at the flick of a Switch. Clean channel can get a great crunch at higher volumes. The distortion can be very raunchy, but not very metal-like. The mid-control on the overdrive channel is very fun to play with.

I play blues/rock with some funk and reggae. This amp is perfect for that. I have been playing three years, and I'm alright. I use this with a boost and a wah, and I have the footwitch so I can get a good variety of sounds. This product is a very good deal for the money, and if it were lost/stolen, I might end up in jail for murder or attempted murder. I love the 15 watt Class A operation and the tube reverb. The footwitch is a really nice feature, very useful. I don't hate anything about it, only wish it had more.

I depend on it for playing at home, but I would gig it without a backup for now. This thing is heavy, so I recommend a skateboard or some wheeled thing to help you move this sucker. Has not broken down yet, however have only had it for a few months. Shouldn't even have to replace the tubes for a while. Be careful with this one when going up or down stairs, too. You might want to get someone to help you if you're not a total hoss.

The amp was made in 2007 in China or Korea or one of those countries. Designed by Gibson here in the states. Man is she a beauty or what, I'll tell ya brother. Two channels of pure tube power (2 5881's, 3 12AX7's, & 1 5AR4 rectifier tube). Shared 3-band EQ with a mid-control on channel 2. Channel 1 has only a volume control. Channel 2 has gain and volume controls. Also, tube-driven spring reverb, and to boot you can Switch between 15 watt Class A or 30 watt Class A/B operation. 2 12" Eminence Lady Luck speakers. Other features include standby, cooling fan, footwitch jack, and selectable outputs (2 4 ohm, 2 8 ohm, and 1 16 ohm). Whole package is covered in black tolex with white piping and a basket weave grille. Could use an FX loop and/or headphone jack.

Longshanks
    "I am planning on putting some castor wheels on it for ease of movement." Never, EVER, do this with a combo.
    High_o
    just wondering, but why not? i think i've seen combos that come as stock with wheels
    the_random_hero
    You lose a bit of bass response. It can be recovered easily by moving the corner of your room, or even playing with your EQ a bit.
    n2dabloo
    Great review V_mike, you covered what I missed in mine, lol. Longshanks, why never ever castor wheels/combos? Please explain...
    philfie
    does anyone noe if this amp can cover srv blues, moreover srv glassy clean like lenny or riviera paradise?
    V_mike
    If you got a clean boost, you can run that on the clean channel for a pretty SRV-ish sound. The 5881's are pretty clean and chimey like a tweed-style fender. The reverb sounds awesome with the clean channel too.
    Nailgun
    Just played one at Center City Guitar, Wow it has Balls. The tone is so warm, I did not turn her up past 8:30 way to loud,, Made a deal and its in my pickup truck right now. Oh, it is heavy as heck. Looking forward to cranking it up, I took back an amp I had bought from them "a valve sp." it just sucked..
    Nailgun
    The amp comes with "setting suggestions" as follows: Clean Blues Clean Jazz Texas Heat Thunder From Down Under Classic Crunch I did not try them all but the Texas Heat is very ZZ sounding, Clean Jazz setup was very good too. I set it to Class A 15 watt and with the above setups I did not need to go over 1 on the guitar vol control.. I went up to 3 but dropped it down , my 20X35' room was shaking. I think I am going to open a termite kill business, just plug in and shake them to death.
    V_mike
    Man I finally found a place to crank this baby all the way up and woah was I BLOWN AWAY!!! The clean channel on this amp gets down n dirty past 3/4 volume on the 15 watt setting. Man my Les Paul was purrin', and I was plugged straight into the amp, no effects or nothin. Man I sure am glad I snagged this off e-bay.