Blues Custom 30 review by Epiphone

Epiphone: Blues Custom 30

This amp sounds awesome! I played for over two hours using everything from a Squier Bullet to a Gibson Flying V on it before I bought it, and everything sounded great, at low volume! I prefer the distorted channel exclusively, as you can clean it up quite nicely by rolling back the volume, or switching to the rhythm pickup. The distortion is not ever in excess, and with the treble maxed out, even Sabbath, even Metallica is possible. I play everything from B.B. King and Muddy Waters to Metallica and Nirvana, and this amp will do it all. With either my Black Toffee or Hothead distortion hooked up, I can set the distorted channel to sound similar to a overdriven Fender, and then stomp to get full on distortion, with little to no noise under half volume!

Looking for a budget all-tube amp, this is definetly the best deal. If you don't think it goes heavy enough for you, use the money you saved to get the pedals to make it right! I've been playing 6 hours a day for almost two years straight and this is my second favorite piece of gear after my G-400 custom... If someone stole this, I'd run them down because they would get very far with the weight, and just drop it on them and KO them. Sounds almost as good as a Fender Twin, at a quarter of the price!

Besides being almost obscenely heavy, like 60+ pounds, it's a rock solid amp. I put casters on the bottom so it was easier to move between gigs, and that helped alot. Haven't had it long enough to worry about the tubes breaking or dying, but it has been dropped off of my bed onto the floor, and it didn't even stratch it! No Doubt I would gig with this, I just use a 2x12 extension cabinet to really make is sound like a half stack.

I bought this brand new this year after Christmas. It's a dual channel, all-tube 15W Class A/30W Class AB powerhouse, with two 12" Lady Luck Eminence speakers. It has a clean channel, and a Drive channel, with independent EQ and reverb (both can be bypassed). The salesman also gave me the footswitch from the Valve Standard DSP, so I can switch channels without walking over to the amp.

philfie
    Nailgun wrote: The amp comes with "setting suggestions" as follows: Clean Blues Clean Jazz Texas Heat Thunder From Down Under Classic Crunch I did not try them all but the Texas Heat is very ZZ sounding, Clean Jazz setup was very good too. I set it to Class A 15 watt and with the above setups I did not need to go over 1 on the guitar vol control.. I went up to 3 but dropped it down , my 20X35' room was shaking. I think I am going to open a termite kill business, just plug in and shake them to death.
    my amp didnt come with my suggested settings could you give me them please and if youve got a good sweet spot on the amp could u give me ur settings for that please?
    philfie
    could you give me those suggested settings please my amp didn't come with them and if you have your own settings could you give me those too thanks
    Kenkthulhu
    I just bought one of these. Anyone who says "no headphone jack" is probably missing the point of the creamy speakers and all the juice of the tubes. effects loop? fair comment, but where in the amp train would that fit? buy some pedals. I played this amp through with the same guitar as mine at the store - recommend to bring your own guitar and pedals and try them all.
    Nailgun
    Just an update to my BC30 post, I put 2 KT-66's in her and wow it's a much better amp, not as brite but has more low end power