EP-800 review by Epiphone

Epiphone: EP-800

I am using a Vintage VS6 (SG copy) with this amp and was hoping to get a good classic rock crunch and smooth blues tones. The distortion on the amp is too smooth for a crunchy AC/DC type sound, and I would not say it has the best distortion ever. The cleans are fine, not dazzling but not awful and it does not crackle at higher volumes. It's tough to get a great sound out of the amp, but I find with the gain at about 3/4 and the bass up with the treble reasonably low you get a close clapton-esque 'woman tone'. If you want to play metal or hard rock I would not reccomend this amp.

I play a range from metal to jazz and have been playing for 4/5 years, unfortunately this amp cannot keep up with all the different styles and only really excells at at a soft blues tone. If this was stolen I would save up more money and get a better amp, one I could gig with and one that's better than my main Line 6 spider amp. The area I fault this amp is the sound, it just can't quite reach my expectations of a 'good' amp. However, if you are just starting playing I would definately reccomend this amp over other really awful, tinny sounding practise amps, it does have a fuller warmer tone than they do.

This amp is old, I mean really old and has been thrown around, kicked about, stood on and dropped and there has been not a single thing gone wrong. The pots and knobs are plastic but have never come loose or wrong, as with the jacks. If it were loud enough and had a better sound I would gig with this amp without a back up definately.

This amp was bought used and is very old, in the sellers house he showed me black and white photos of him gigging with it quite a while back. it's a 25W solid state practise amp essentially with one channel and volume, gain and 3 band EQ, a headphone jack too. I bought this amp for bedroom play and quick practise which it is definately loud enough for, but not loud enough to compete with a drummer. One of my favourite things about this amp is the Vintage yellow and brown tweed covering with nothing too flashy, it looks great.

mytwocents755
    I own this amp as well and think that its definitely better for boosting clean tones at lower gain settings. You get a full sound with a bit of fuzz. This amp does not like the hum. If you use a strat, reduce the hum by setting the switch in position 2 or 4 in-between the pickups or better yet, use a noise suppressor. I plan to keep this amp for when I get a new and better acoustic with a built in mic jack like the epi masterbilt or similar.
    napalm890
    I've got this one, it's great for beginners and if you have an effects pedal it's really all you need for practicing by yourself
    charlie__flynn
    Kegan wrote: thelonesoldier wrote: The distortion on the amp is too smooth for a crunchy AC/DC type sound, and I would not say it has the best distortion ever. That's ridiculous. Is it called the "AC/DC amp"? Is that how you judge your amps, by how much they make you sound like Angus Young? Maybe you should have tried and purchased an amp designed for the tone you wanted. It's not ridiculous. He simply stated that if you're after ACDC-style overdrive, it's not the right amp for that sort of sound. Perhaps the tone he wanted has nothing to do with Angus Young's, but he knew that everyone is familiar with the sort of distortion used by ACDC, so it would be a good point of comparison.
    Haha thanks, this is exactly right. I couldve easily said Avenged sevenfold or metallica and told you it was not a metal amp. But AC/DC is what a lot of beginners will learn to play and as this is a beginners amp i found that band more appropriate.
    goo94
    DeanMarkleysDad wrote: acdc sucks theyve been writing the same boring songs with boring drum beats and boring guitar work. who wants an amp to sound like them anyways ?
    good call
    Kegan
    mileo@ug
    Obviously you an AC/DC fan so am I, however ths is not for heavy playing, this is for blues rock, classic rock, or just plain blues.
    mileo@ug
    Effects shouldn't really be part of reviewing an amp or a guitar for that matter. You hould just look at the sound of the amp, ho clear it is, if it cracks, if it buzzes... shit like that... Not what distortion sounds like on it
    HearshotKd33
    Serjem wrote:
    uhmm... back in the 60's and 70's overdrive was very desirable. go listen to revoultion by the beatles, or anything from albert king or hendrix. they did have gain knobs on their amps so they could get that sound. either that or they had a fuzz box. what your talking about is wayy back in the 1930's when charlie christian was the big man and there wernt any "guitar amps" per-say. All they were using were the hi-fi radio amps and such... but no. its not THAT old because its solid state.. not because it has gain control. oh btw... there wasnt really distortion back in the 60's or 70's. it was either fuzz or overdrive.
    Serjem
    1st page review has never had so few comments. celebrate! on topic; seems like a deacent amp. it must be interesting playing this old thing, sincer it's probably far different from amps which are made today. wait... you said this has a dostortion knob or something... it couldnt be THAT old then... at least not "black and white" times old... you see, my friend... "distortion" used to be undesired when playing guitar. that's why old amps dont have od/dist channels/knobs... face it.... the dude who sold it to you is an ass... he photoshoped a pic of him gigging, so it looked old ;P
    DeanMarkleysDad
    pontino
    quote]That's ridiculous. Is it called the "AC/DC amp"? Is that how you judge your amps, by how much they make you sound like Angus Young? Maybe you should have tried and purchased an amp designed for the tone you wanted. [/quote] +1 sir!
    Shazazmic
    olij92
    tdrules wrote: "If you want to play metal or hard rock I would not reccomend this amp." if you bought this amp for metal you need to reconsider your choice of hobby
    Nothing wrong with metal ;D
    kleifheit13
    thereverendsoup wrote: Metallicaloveu wrote: I'm quite drunk whilst writting this but for what it's worth... the user bought it old so is there true worth to the review? Screw it i've got a hangover coming... another drunk is due... Some of the best amps were made in the 60's and 70's and are still very much alive and touring today. Age has nothing to do with the quality of an amp, as long as it's been well maintained. That said, reviews of old gear are worthwhile because a lot of that gear still pops up for sale on a regular basis and is just as good (if not better) than a lot of new gear.
    i agree with this guy i have a peavey from the 70's and yea it does have its bad days where it cracks and things but a new speaker brought that baby to life and its better than any tube amp ive ever played (not sayin too too much but still)
    Bobby97
    it's not that great of an amp i would say it has to be more metalish. This is for blues or rock n roll and stuff like that.
    thelonesoldier
    thereverendsoup
    Metallicaloveu
    charlie__flynn
    Who gave it a rating that poor? Its not a great amp by any means, but for a complete beginner it beats the starter pack amps you would usually get. It wasnt bought to play the metal and shouldnt be.
    tdrules
    koalabacon
    Shazazmic wrote: Average user rating of 2.3? Someone must have a personal vendetta against this amp =/
    lol. i doubt it can be that bad.
    Dodeejeroo
    This was my first amp (pawn shop special). Got it when I was in junior-high (26 years old now) and I still own it. I've played no-name guitars through it, my Epi Casino, LP Custom, and more recently my new Tele. I really like the tone I've gotten from this amp. It has a volume, gain, and bass/mid/treble knobs, and given some time to tailor it for each guitar it can be quite a satisfying little practice amp. With gain all the way up it does have some crunch, not that "metal master" kind of distortion but kind of a mix between classic and modern hard rock. Cleans are decent. I'd have to agree that where it shines is blues/slight overdrive. With the Tele I just got this old amp really comes into it's own and I'm happy I've never gotten rid of it. Amps have come a long way and I know there is better stuff out there now but if you find one of these for a good deal I suggest trying it out, it may surprise you.