EP-800 Review

manufacturer: Epiphone date: 12/26/2008 category: Guitar Amplifiers

Sign up to get weekly digest with top stories from UG. Ads free, only news.

Thanks for subscribing! Check your email soon for some great stories from UG

Epiphone: EP-800
 6.3
 7.3
 5.3
 7,062
review (1) 23 comments vote for this gear:
EP-800 Reviewed by: charlie__flynn, on december 26, 2008

Features: This amp was bought used and is very old, in the sellers house he showed me black and white photos of him gigging with it quite a while back. it's a 25W solid state practise amp essentially with one channel and volume, gain and 3 band EQ, a headphone jack too. I bought this amp for bedroom play and quick practise which it is definately loud enough for, but not loud enough to compete with a drummer. One of my favourite things about this amp is the Vintage yellow and brown tweed covering with nothing too flashy, it looks great. // 7

Sound: I am using a Vintage VS6 (SG copy) with this amp and was hoping to get a good classic rock crunch and smooth blues tones. The distortion on the amp is too smooth for a crunchy AC/DC type sound, and I would not say it has the best distortion ever. The cleans are fine, not dazzling but not awful and it does not crackle at higher volumes. It's tough to get a great sound out of the amp, but I find with the gain at about 3/4 and the bass up with the treble reasonably low you get a close clapton-esque 'woman tone'. If you want to play metal or hard rock I would not reccomend this amp. // 6

Reliability & Durability: This amp is old, I mean really old and has been thrown around, kicked about, stood on and dropped and there has been not a single thing gone wrong. The pots and knobs are plastic but have never come loose or wrong, as with the jacks. If it were loud enough and had a better sound I would gig with this amp without a back up definately. // 10

Overall Impression: I play a range from metal to jazz and have been playing for 4/5 years, unfortunately this amp cannot keep up with all the different styles and only really excells at at a soft blues tone. If this was stolen I would save up more money and get a better amp, one I could gig with and one that's better than my main Line 6 spider amp. The area I fault this amp is the sound, it just can't quite reach my expectations of a 'good' amp. However, if you are just starting playing I would definately reccomend this amp over other really awful, tinny sounding practise amps, it does have a fuller warmer tone than they do. // 6

More Epiphone reviews rating category latest review
+ Wildkat 8.5 Electric Guitars 03/23/2016