So-Cal 50H review by Epiphone

Epiphone: So-Cal 50H

Price paid: € 430

Purchased from: maydrums.de

I've just played it with my guitar (Epiphone SG), but the sound it produces is f--king amazing. I play mostly rock, punk, blues and some metal. The clean channel gives a great bluesy sound and the overdrive channel makes a really good rock sound. For metal it's not the perfect amp, but it's not build for that. But for every other music I play, it's really great. And the best of all is it's versatility, which comes from the EQ, which makes on the clean channel a sound range from really soft pop to very bluesy and on the overdrive channel from bluesrock to hardrock.

For less than 500 dollars or 400 euros it's the best all-tube head I've ever seen and played. The sound is versatile and really good. It's the first tube-amp I've bought, but others I played didn't reach this one. So I can just recommend this one.

Cause I have this amp for just 2 month, I can't say much to reliability, but it seems pretty tough. And if there problems Epiphone seems to be accommodating for what I've heard because I never needed it till now.

This series seems to be pretty unknown, so lots of even big musicstores haven't even heard of this one. But I can't understand why. Selectable 50W class AB (pentode mode) or 25W class AB (triode mode). The preamps-tubes are five 12AX7 tubes and the power tubes are two EL 34 tubes. It has a 3-way EQ and two channels (a clean and an overdrive one). It has 4, 8 and 16 ohm outputs, so that every speaker can be plugged in. There is a footswitch for the channels, but I don't have it. This model was made in 2006 in China. It weights 41,9 lbs.

mastermicr0
    Sound: Yeah i agree with you. I have this amp too and I like his blues rock sound very much. But If you want to play metal you need a gain boost or a foodswitch with gain boost. I have the amp combinated with the Epiphone box SOCAL 412SL CAB and I payed 510 and that is very very cheap. It is a realy good Half-Stack!