Valve Junior review by Epiphone

Epiphone: Valve Junior

Purchased from: Musicians Friend

I use this amp with an Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plaintop and a Saga TC-10 build. First off: this amp sounds absolutely amazing. I play just about everything, from blues to punk (and even some metal) and this amp can handle them all. If you simply toss a Boss DS-1 in front of it, you can get this amp anywhere. All this being said, the amp does have a predominantly dark tone, which can be fixed with a simple mod. I can't get over the awesome power amp distortion you get when you crank this thing. Also, I have heard that some people think that the 8" speaker sounds "boxy." They must have changed speakers or something, because from the sound coming from mine, you'd never guess it was an 8".

Overall, this amp is simply great. As my first tube amp, I would say that it's a great entry into tube. After being able to play through this amp daily, my Spider II just doesn't cut it anymore. I would say that it is the best amp for the price. I love it's simplicity, but a master volume Switch wouldn't hurt. If this amp was stolen, I would more than likely buy another.

I've had this amp for almost 6 months now, and with normal wear and tear, I've had no problems. I would easily rely on this thing in a gig, except for the fact that it's not loud enough. It's a solid built amp. The amp feels like it could take a pretty good deal of shaking too, but I'm not itching to try it any time soon.

I bought my VJ combo a couple months ago. I have the V2 model, which is just the V1 with the updated filaments to cut the hum. This amp is great. 5 watts of pure Class A tube. What more could you ask for? I use this amp mainly at home, but I have used it at a band practice, and I could hear it over the drums enough for practice. The one volume knob may seem like a problem at first, but it really brings out the sound of your guitar. I give this a 9; less is more.

James_UK
    I recently bought this amp and it's tone simply blew me away! It's louder and much clearer sounding than the Marshall 30DFX I had before. You won't believe it's only a 5 watt amp! Only concern is a strange sqeaky noise it makes when you crank it up I think that's the sound valves make when they get too hot?