Valve Junior review by Epiphone

Epiphone: Valve Junior

Purchased from: Gear Exchange

The sound on this is truly mind blowing for the price you are paying. I play this amp through my SRV stratocaster (primarily) along with my Gibson Les Paul Classic. I personally enjoy playing through the Stratocaster more as I have more control before the amp gets muddy. I play mostly blues/rock and this amp is terrific for the blues side. What you have to do is crank the volume on the amp to 10 and use your volume control on your guitar (this is how you are supposed to do it). This thing on about 3-5: (guitar volume) is very clean jazz-esque and very nice to put some nice chord facings for blues, 6-8: well it is starting to get angry and you want to push it more, 9-10: duck and cover, I know it is only 5 watts but damn it screams. This amp hits that perfect breakup with so much warmth.

Overall this amp is for people that want great tone at lower volumes. I have to other name brand quality amps that I paid 7 times more for each, yet I continue to come back and play my little Epiphone. I only wish it had a reverb but as soon as you sit down and play this amp you will know why I am raving about it. It is not about the features, it is not about how many pedals you can plug into it, it is not about how it looks, it is about how it sounds and how you play it. This is a players amp. Do not be fooled by it's size and think just because it is small it cannot be good because you will be dead wrong. Do yourself a favor and play one in a store. Turn it up and you will see what this can do. You cannot find a better tube amp for the price with the reliability and tone.

This amp will never be played in a gig but I wish it could. Epiphone did a terrific job with bringing back the old boutique amp style with the grill cloth and the overall 'feel' of the amp. I do not see any problems for servicing except for when I change tubes but that will not be difficult considering it is 5 watts.

This amp is a 2007 model. If you are considering purchasing this amp be aware of what it is: A straight tube amp with no controls. This is a one channel amp thus no channel switching, loops, or a headphone jack, Who wants those anyways? This is a 5 watt amp so you can push this thing without going deaf. If you are in an apartment like me and need to semi-respect the neighbors but still want a tube amp sound this is the amp.