Valve Junior review by Epiphone

Epiphone: Valve Junior

Purchased from: House Of Guitars

I play a Fender Strat with Tex-Mex single coil pickups, and this amp responds beautifully to them. It does tend to get noisy when at full volume, but it's overdriven quite a bit at that point, so it's expected. The Valve Junior can go from glassy clean to nasty overdrive. Overall, really nice.

I play anything from classic rock, blues, to a bit more modern, RHCP-ish stuff. It handles it all very well. I have been playing for 4 years. I would replace it in a heartbeat were it stolen or lost, no second guesses. I love how loud it can get for being only 5 watts. It keeps up with my band great, drummer and all. Only real complaint is the lack of reverb, but that really isn't that terrible.

This little amp is extremely dependable. I would definately gig without a backup, except for maybe a spare set of tubes. The amp has never given me any issues whatsoever. I've even run it (on accident) without the speaker connected, and it still works wonderfully.

The Valve Junior is a suprisingly versatile tube amplifier, considering the amount of controls (1 volume). It goes from wimpy to a nice full clean to a full range of overdrive sounds. With the volume at about 12 o'clock it is probably the most versatile, any changes can easily be made using the guitars' volume control. It would be great if it had reverb, but for the price this is excellent.