Valve Junior review by Epiphone

Epiphone: Valve Junior

Purchased from: Sam Ash

I am using a Gibson Les Paul Studio Gem with P-90 pickups and it sounds great through this amp. It suits my style very nicely and I play classic rock from bands such as AC/DC, Led Zeppelin, and Lynard Skynard. My amp hums a little but not very much. It begins to hum at about 12 o'clock. I play in a bedroom and I can barely turn the volume past 12 o'clock. I don't think this amp could play with a drummer but I could be wrong. It has a very nice clean sound from 7-10 oclock, from 11-12 oclock it breaks up very nicely. From about 1-5 o'clock you can get a nice AC/DC sound. But pretty much after that your going to have to roll your guitar down, because it starts to get noisy but that's typical. It probably sound better with a tube change and maybe a 12" speaker. But this amp still sound very nice.

I play classic rock, and this matches my style perfectly. Altough I like to play a lil Metallica, I probably just buy a pedal for that. If it were stolen or lost I would probably buy the head version of this amp because it could be ran through bigger speakers. I love the simplicity and the nice breakup at 11-5 o'clock. I have a Line 6 spider and the Epi Valve Junior just blows the Spider out of the water. All in all I am pleased with my amp.

It looks very durable. It is heavier than it looks. It weighs about 25-30lbs! I probabaly would have to mic it if I was gigging with it. I probably wouldn't bring a backup because it is very durable. I might bring a change of tubes. It also comes with a 5yr warranty so, I'd expect they'd make these amps so they don't break.

The Epi Valve Junior comes with one volume knob, plain and simple. I play classic rock and this amp works perfectly. It can't really play music as hard as Metallica without a pedal, but is still very nice for a classic rock sound. It is a tube amp with one EL 84 and one 12ax7. It has a very nice cleans to a very natural breakup that gives this amp a creamy distortion at 12 o'clock. All in all simplier is better sound with this amp.