Valve Junior Head review by Epiphone

Epiphone: Valve Junior Head

Purchased from: Fuller's Vintage Guitar

I use this amp with an '06 Fender Standard Fat Strat and the matching cabinet. The HSS pickup configuration gives me a few tonal options to work with. The Tex-Mex single coils sound great until the amp starts feeding back at a certain amount of distortion. The bridge humbucker, however, crunches it out great at all volumes. Either way, the feedback can be used in a sweet-sounding kind of way. I use this amp with a Boss DS-1 Distortion and it makes the world of difference. The volume control actually gives quite a bit of tonal variation with the turn of the knob, with cleaner sounds at the lower volumes, and raunchy tube overdrive at the loudest. I set the volume to about 10 or 11 o'clock and use the DS-1 for switching between clean and overdrive. The way I use it is smooth & warm w/ the single coils, or crunchy and raunchy zep-like humbucking. The clean sounds awesome too.

I have been playing for about 2 1/2 years now. I play mostly blues, classic rock, and hard rock. This thing gets the job done for those, but I have played some funky shit with a wah, and it can even jam some good reggae tone with a envelope filter. All in all, the only thing I wouldn't play with this amp is metal, but I don't play too much metal. You might be able to if you wanted, but the distortion you can get from this amp might not be enough for you. If this amp were lost/stolen, I would definitely replace it, since it was so much bang for the buck.

No problems with the amp, although I haven't owned for more than a few months. I would use it for gigging, but only miked thru a PA because it might not overcome the drums. I would use it without a backup, but that's only because I don't have the money to buy amps out the ass. I might replace the tubes as time wears on, but that's just personal preference. The construction seems pretty solid, and it looks like something older than me. Other than that, it is a sturdy mofo.

This is a 5-watt, Class A, tube amp. It uses a 12AX7 for the pre-amp and an EL84 for the power amp. The only control is a chicken-head volume knob. Other than that it has an input, on/off Switch, and three speaker outs in 4, 8, and 16 ohms. The setup of this amp is great, no bullshit, just amp. The volume control is the only thing on it. Everything else I control with pedals as should be done. The only thing I would want would be a headphone out for quiet practice ability.

nathanthehippie
    this thing is amazing when i turn the volume up to all the way i get a major hendrix sound its awesome and LOUDDDD
    the.spine.surfs
    RR=bestevrplaya wrote: k, question, if i wanna play metal can i boost it with a pedal and eq?, just cause i can't see buying an amp if i can't play my favorite type o music
    You can put a Metal Muff into anything and play metal, but this isn't the best amp for metal. A good all-tube amp for metal would be the Peavey 5150.
    madguyposerhomi
    oh and with a pedal, ive noticed that with my amp it gets trememdously louder when i use it with a pedal
    adamshakermaker
    I just bought the Harley Benton GA5H, its the same amp, made at the same factory but it comes with a tone control and its half the price. Oh, and its amazing!!
    madguyposerhomi
    hey if i wanted to eq it,could i get a eq pedal(7 band) and have it work like a tube amp with eq?or possibly better b/c more options.thanks
    V_mike
    Yeah this amp loves for you to put pedals in front of it. It can really crunch with a good fuzzbox. I love it for its utter simplicity.
    weorge
    madguyposerhomi wrote: would this be loud enough to play over drums and loud enough for a medium sized school auditorium?with the matching cab of course.
    can someone answer this guys question please, i also need to know, without using a pa system
    rokknrollldude
    Mitchell?
    so need to know, without using a pa system[/quote]
    rokknrollldude wrote: could I make it louder or get lo volume dist by running my guitar into my 15 watt SS amp, then the speaker out signal into the input of this amp?