Valve Junior Head review by Epiphone

Epiphone: Valve Junior Head

Purchased from: Gumtree

I use this amp with a number of guitars - Gibson SG, Epiphone G400 loaded with Seymour Duncan Jeff Becks, Strat with Lace Sensors, Stock Squier Tele...etc. It can be quite a quiet amp but does break up nicely from 12 o'clock onwards. It's loud enough to gig at smaller venues, but I run it with a Seymour Duncan Pick-Up Booster in front of it, and you'd easily think this was a 50w Valve head. I play anything from Blues to Heavy Rock and with the Pick-Up Booster in front of it this thing is capable of anything. It is a very tight sounding roaring amp. Killer distortion and beautiful tone.

I've been playing for 17 years and have been gigging for 15 of those and I've never been happier with an amp. My admission is that after a recording session, and being young and silly, I traded in a JCM800 2205 for a line6 Spider II head and cab, mainly as I couldn't make the Marshall sing, but a few years more playing and the combo of this head and a 1960A cab is simply wonderful. For a budget head it's incredible. I really can't recommend them highly enough. Go get one!

I've only just had this for a few weeks but it seems like there is very little to go wrong with it. Until now all is good.

Who needs features! As mentioned - 1 volume dial, an input, and 4, 8, 16ohm outputs on the back of the head. No Standby switch, but not really required. It's pure valve tone and really doesn't need any bells and whistles. I'd defo have this over the combo as aesthetically it's very pretty and looks good on top of any cab.

rv_phoenix
    Both Gibson and Epiphone amps are outrageously underrated. This one sounds like a little monster, full of warmth and with a huge versatility.
    EasyMucy
    Once I was 75 euros short and my friend snatched this one from under my nose. Now he uses this little brat in his recording studio. Everyone laughs at first and refuses to record on it but when they hear the ROAR this 5W puts out at only 1/4 of volume... everybody wants to record with this one. It can be heard on youtube (search Zdravljica Banzai) and (Banzai Run To You - here you can see me toy with my Firebird)