Valve Standard review by Epiphone

Epiphone: Valve Standard

Purchased from: Thomann

I usually use this amp with my two main guitars. One modified Washburn HB-30 (Hollow-body guitar, sort of a copied ES335). I mounted Seymour Duncan pickups on it (SH2 - SH4). I also use it with my Epiphone Les Paul Standard, which is also modified, with the replacement of the pickups. The new ones are Seymour-Duncan SH1 and SH5. I also use a Fender Lite Ash Telecaster on it. I mainly play British rock n' roll and classic rock n' roll like Oasis, Blur, Coldplay, Radiohead, or some heavier stuff like Led Zeppelin. Some country, some blues, a bit of everything really. The good thing is that this amplifier is very versatile. You can play pretty much anything on it If you set it up right. My two main guitars have bold, full and rich sounds, and my telecaster has that bright tone you would expect from it. And both styles can be played perfectly on that thing, as long as you know how to use the equalizer. Again, the amp is very bassy, mainly because the speaker is new and needs to rumble a bit before it comes right. But you'll have to push that bass know down at the beginning. A good thing is that the amp isn't noisy. And you would expect it to be noisy as it's a class A amplifier. But it's not. There are two ways to distort the sound. You can either push the gain know up, and gradually push the volume know up. Or you can do it the opposite way. But you should note that the second way will blow your ear drums away and is not recommended If you're in a small room. This amplifier can be really loud when you push the knobs up. You should also note that I don't think this amp is made for metal, really heavy rock n' roll players, but more for classic rock, blues or country players. In fact, you can get any sound with it with pedals, but using only the amp, you won't get any brutal distortion. The maximum you can get out of that amp is a good crunchy sound.

In conclusion, I can say that for the price I payed it, this amplifier really does the job he's asked for. And with no troubles. You can play pretty much anything on it as long as you set it right. It reacts really well when you put some pedals on the line. I use it with a Marshall JH-1 for distortion, a Jim Dunlop cry baby wah, an ED1 Compressor, and they all sound superb with that amp. I've been playing for two years ony, but I've had the opportunity of testing lots of other amplifiers and this one really made my day when I tested it for the first time. And I really trust its brand, Epiphone. It's a classy looking, great sounding amplifier, and I recommend it for anyone. If it were stolen, I'd beat up the guy Who'd stole it and make him give it back to me. If I lost it one day, I definitely would consider buying it again. The only thing I have to say is watch out for the bassy sound when you use it for the first time, it can sound ugly, but eventually it fades as you use it.

As I said, the amplifier is really heavy, and the cabinetry is well done. You can park your car on it and it still will stand, I mean it. I would definitely gig with this amp, and I did. And I wouldn't consider taking a backup amp at all. The thing will plainly do the job. You'll consider getting an extension speaker to broaden the sound of the amp on a stage. But that's it. The amplifier has never let me down. The only thing that I'm concerned about is that it tends to heat a lot. If you use it for like two hours, you can't keep your finger on the front panel more than 15 seconds, or you'll burn yourself. I don't know If it's normal for an all-tube amplifier. But that's the only thing that I will have to look after in the future. Well, I'll also make sure no one touches it, because it's so darn pretty, 9 because of the heat concern.

The Amp was probably made in 2006. It's a single channel, all-tube amplifier, with 3 x 12AX7 and 2 x EL84 Sovtek tubes. It has three digital effects (chorus, flanger, delay) that you can mute, and each effect comes with five different profiles, for a total of 15 effects. Well, 16, if you take the reverb in account. The cabinetry is really good, and the thing looks beautiful, '60s like. The speaker is a 12 inch Epiphone custom speaker that does the job really well. It has the following knobs: gain, treble, middle, bass, DSP, Reverb Level, Master volume. It also features a standby switch, which is very practical when you want to take a break or when you want to heat up the tubes before you use them. I really enjoy the fact that it has only one channel because it makes the way you act with the guitar and the pedals more important. You also get to understand how natural distortion works, when you push the gain or volume knob up. It has no effects loop, and no headphone jack. It only features an input jack, an extension speaker out jack, and a DSP switching pedal that comes in the package. I use the amp in my room, a 20 m room, in which it sounds really too bassy. But use it in a hangar, or in a basement, or in any other larger place, and the sound is just fine. Rated only 8 because of the lack of headphones out and effects loop. Also because it's really, really heavy.

Sabud
    JimiJames_
    Sabud : why are you arguing about how loud your amp is, when will people realize that quality of sound is way more important than how loud an amp is.
    Yeah , seriusly ! and by the way , at a gig , it doesnt matter how loud Your amp is! They put a mic next to it and send it through the fronts! You can even gig with a miniamp!
    peever
    well when your username is pro guitarist and you dont know the difference between tube and SS... it really makes you look like a jackass
    pugnapugnapugna
    This little 15 watter sounds infinitely better than your "transtube" amp. Hybrid amps are just a gimmick. Get over yourself, man.
    zipppy2006
    haha do you guys not understand tube tone and tube volume? 100watt tube would be ridiculous.
    SOUPerman432321
    epiphone guitars are such crap but their amps are desent. But 15 watts is embarrassing get some balls with at least a 100 watt. if you want to get a practice amp get a crap used amp that is falling apart and put your money in a show amp
    TMAW
    I would rather get a valve amp to gig with but a solid state to practice with because of the low volume distortion capabilities, a tube amp would be the best to gig with if you were just using the amp by itself
    proguitarist11
    the.spine.surfs wrote: proguitarist11 wrote: i think i'll stick w/ my 200 watt TransTube Peavey amp, thanks tho. It compensates nicely for your 1.5cm penis, I'm sure. I look forward to trying out one of these Epi valve amps.
    wut a cool guy. here we are talking about amps and he makes a crack about my penis. real mature.
    col03sol
    the epi is not a bad practice amp, but for gigging I prefer a Peavey Classic 30. it has two channels with an effects loop. 15 watts is great for practicing in your room, but it's usually not enough to rise above the rest of the band on stage. especially if you have a loud drummer. the Classic 30 will break up and distort at a low volume level as well (the Peavey Classic 50 is too powerful and will not break up or distort at a low volume level). as for the DSP (chorus, flanger, delay), why would you want digital effects on a tube amp. the digital effects kill the true tone of the instument and you're limited as to what you can do. for alot less money you could buy a solid state with the same thing. forget the dsp and use pedals.
    the.spine.surfs
    chris24789
    because 15 watts tube apears louder to the ears than 15 watts solid state, you ould gig with a 15 watt tube amp such as this.
    Lastlarf
    I've had one of these for a few months now, couldn't be happier with it. Wonderful sound, very loud for it's size too. Only drag is that its so damn heavy. XD
    JPC
    Nice review. Thanks. I was looking for some opinions on that amp and never found 'em.