Valve Standard review by Epiphone

Epiphone: Valve Standard

Purchased from: Marty's Music Shop

My rig is a Fender '72 Telecaster Deluxe, into a Korg petal tuner, to a Seymour Duncan Twin Tube Classic pre-amp. Into the Valve Standard, then from the line out to the "input" of my Fender Stage 160.... I've been gigging with a rock and roll cover band for a year and a half now and have tried the following amps (all were good, but left me wanting more) Marshall AVT, Crate all tube 100 watt to a Fender silver front cab, then a Peavey ValveKing 50 watt amp, then the Fender Stage 160 solid state. This is the first tube amp i've used that wasn't noisey and handles external petals well. The way I have it set to clean when moderately played, but when i really pound it hard it starts to growl ever so slightly on the neck pick up, but is still smooth on the bridge. From there, the first channel on the petal is medium growl, same volume and the third channel more volume and growl. Also switching from neck to bridge pick ups varies the sound perfectly. Distortion is PERFECT for me. On its own it probably would be less than adiquate for some, but a petal out front beefs it right up. As I said before, this is "the sound" I've been searching for since I picked up an axe for the first time!

If this thing was stolen, I'd buy another right away. Did I mention I love this amp! As I said before, this is the sound I've been looking for since I started playing. I am the rythm guitar player and lead singer for my band. This amp is perfect for my place in the band, It would be plenty for lead as well. For those of you (like I once was) Who thing 15 watts isn't enough... I dare you to try it!

I haven't owned the amp long enough, but its VERY tough, covered in heavy steel. Its a bull dozer of a 15 watt amp. I've heard of people dropping them down stairs and not skipping a beat. I do take a back up (my Fender) only because I use it as a solid state booster for the sound.

Finally, this is the sound I've been looking for since I started playing guitar over 12 years ago. First, this is the most reasonably priced best sounding tube amp I've come across. And believe it or not 15 watts in a tube amp, is MORE than enough to gig. My amp was made in 2006. It goes from warm clean tones to perfectly crunched classic rock and roll growl. It only has one channel, but this is fine for me I use a tube pre-amp petal with two channels and a bypass for three volumes/tones at my feet. The chorus/flange/delay leaves some what to be desired. But they sound good. No headphone jack, but i don't use that anyway. I originally bought the amp for practicing and studio use, but took it to practice and its now my gigging amp. I could use it by itself, but i am running it through my Fender Stage 160 2x12 160w amp for a little more bottom when gigging out. I give it an 8 for features bc of only having one channel, but i found i like that better, its easier to control.