Megatone PL-60R review by Fame

• Reviewer's score: 6.8 Neat
Fame: Megatone PL-60R

It doesn't has much of a voice, which makes it quite versatile. The OD channel is kinda noisy, but manageable. I used to play it with a stratocloner and pickup changes are quite noticeable, although it eats some of the quack of the middle pickup. Not that I miss it anyway. The clean channel sounds pretty much like the OD channel with low gain. I like that. The OD is kinda like a tubescreamer, it doesn't get much farther beyond that. I don't mind.

I was learning and having a characterless amp is good for that - it also means it doesn't sound like anybody's, which can be good or bad. It has an effects loop, which means you can have a good preamp (say a small Marshall head) and plug it there for 60W of power. Besides guitar, I've used the good ol' PL-60R for bass, and for mics and music via the FX loop. It does a decent job there. Now that I have a job, I'd never buy this one again, I'd just buy a Tubescreamer and a decent PA/mixer. You'd only find worth in it if you're a ghetto McGuyver like me.

It doesn't look too solid, mostly because it has an open back and the magnet in the speaker is huge! I think a bad fall could break the cabinet or the speaker basket. However it has taken a few falls, it once fell on a boom box and crushed it to death. The front has a metal sheet with hex holes, it's been kicked and beaten with guitars and mic stands, and it survived with no scratches. I gigged it for two years, never had a problem.

I got this solid state amp in 2002, although mine's branded "Maze" instead of Fame, I think that's what they're called in Mexico. It's got clean/OD channels with individual volume controls; master bass/mid/treble controls. It has a nice spring reverb. You can switch channels with a foot switch (not included). It's got an effects loop. It's got a 60W output driving a 12" MegaTone speaker. It also has two inputs for high or low-impedance guitars. Also has headphone output. It's very basic, it doesn't have much of a voice which is good because it would be crappy. Both the OD and the clean channels are crisp. It's all solid-state, the OD sounds kinda like a Tubescreamer, which is nice. Most of all: it was CHEAP!