Megatone PL-60R Review

manufacturer: Fame date: 09/06/2012 category: Guitar Amplifiers

Sign up to get weekly digest with top stories from UG. Ads free, only news.

Thanks for subscribing! Check your email soon for some great stories from UG

Fame: Megatone PL-60R
I was learning and having a characterless amp is good for that - it also means it doesn't sound like anybody's, which can be good or bad. It has an effects loop, which means you can have a good preamp and plug it there for 60W of power.
 5.7
 6.8
 4.5
 2,344
review (1) pictures (3) user comments vote for this gear:
Megatone PL-60R Reviewed by: unregistered, on september 06, 2012

Features: I got this solid state amp in 2002, although mine's branded "Maze" instead of Fame, I think that's what they're called in Mexico. It's got clean/OD channels with individual volume controls; master bass/mid/treble controls. It has a nice spring reverb. You can switch channels with a foot switch (not included). It's got an effects loop. It's got a 60W output driving a 12" MegaTone speaker. It also has two inputs for high or low-impedance guitars. Also has headphone output. It's very basic, it doesn't have much of a voice which is good because it would be crappy. Both the OD and the clean channels are crisp. It's all solid-state, the OD sounds kinda like a Tubescreamer, which is nice. Most of all: it was CHEAP! // 6

Sound: It doesn't has much of a voice, which makes it quite versatile. The OD channel is kinda noisy, but manageable. I used to play it with a stratocloner and pickup changes are quite noticeable, although it eats some of the quack of the middle pickup. Not that I miss it anyway. The clean channel sounds pretty much like the OD channel with low gain. I like that. The OD is kinda like a tubescreamer, it doesn't get much farther beyond that. I don't mind. // 5

Reliability & Durability: It doesn't look too solid, mostly because it has an open back and the magnet in the speaker is huge! I think a bad fall could break the cabinet or the speaker basket. However it has taken a few falls, it once fell on a boom box and crushed it to death. The front has a metal sheet with hex holes, it's been kicked and beaten with guitars and mic stands, and it survived with no scratches. I gigged it for two years, never had a problem. // 10

Overall Impression: I was learning and having a characterless amp is good for that - it also means it doesn't sound like anybody's, which can be good or bad. It has an effects loop, which means you can have a good preamp (say a small Marshall head) and plug it there for 60W of power. Besides guitar, I've used the good ol' PL-60R for bass, and for mics and music via the FX loop. It does a decent job there. Now that I have a job, I'd never buy this one again, I'd just buy a Tubescreamer and a decent PA/mixer. You'd only find worth in it if you're a ghetto McGuyver like me. // 6

Comments