Blues Junior review by Fender

Fender: Blues Junior

Purchased from: used

I use this amp with my Peavey HP Signature EXP and Boss ME-50. I play mostly classic rock and bluesy stuff, and I also need a good clean channel. Like I said before, if you're looking for a death-metal amp, you better have a pedal or something, because this is a BLUES Jr., not a metal Jr. But Fender does have the MetalHead amps, if you really like Fender. The amp doesn't do much. It amplifies the sound. It is basic, and suits me perfectly. The tone, however, is great for blues. I cannot say enough how this amp has great blues tones, and I just love to play dirty, dirty blues.

It does do blues, but not metal. That's why I have the ME-50. I love to play blues, and that's pretty much how I play most of the time. I've been a guitarist for 4 years, and I also own: Marshall MG15DFX, a broken Squier Strat, a Peavey HP Signature EXP, a random Squier acoustic guitar, a Boss ME-50, and a Bad Dog distortion pedal. I only ever use the Peavey and the ME-50, with this amp, however. I compared it too, nothing really. I was at my local music store, and I had a bit of money from Christmas, and I asked my friend giving me a ride home to stop there so I could look around, and then I saw this, and a Fender 65 reverb amp. I don't know what it's called, it was also used, and it said reverb on it. I also considered the FM210, and the ValveKing 112. They were all out of my price range, and I was much more impressed with this than the other Fender. It was more of an impulse buy, and it had a real nice clean channel, which was pretty much the only thing I wanted. I bought it for what I needed: an upgrade from the MG. It's loud enough for at least a band practice, and the tone, if you have a distortion or something, is very versatile.

Unfortunately, the reverb on mine does not work. I checked that the thing is plugged into the reverb box, and I don't know how to repair amps, so I'd rather not go investigating, because I can just use the ME-50 for that. It would just be nice to have the reverb, really. I am not the first owner, so I do not know if it has broken down, or when the last tube change was. I also do not know how to tell if it needs new tubes. It seems to be working just fine, however. I would depend on it, but if worst comes to worst, I could always plug my ME-50 direct to the PA, which is what I found this. It's used, but the last owner took care of it, I can tell. It seems to have been alive for quite a while, and I think if I take care of it, it will last at least long enough to when I can afford a bigger and better amp.

When it comes to features, this amp has the full package. It has a master volume knob; bass, mid and treble knobs; master volume knob; reverb level; a FAT Switch; and a volume knob that adjusts the gain. To me, that's all a good amp needs. It doesn't need cheap little effects, or amp models or even it's own heavy distortion. It has tubes, and all the "basic" controls one would ever need. That's not to say that I have no need for my ME-50, but with that, do I really need all these extras in an amp? I do play straight through sometimes with the amp. I can get this really nice blues tones, and some good cleans. It will not do metal on its own. It will not give you death-metal gain, it will not give out distortion. It will give you some killer blues tones, whether you want those dirty, dirty blues, the kind that you just need to play slow with the slow bends. And it can give you a more rock-blues type sound. If you want blues and cleans, it is fine. It does a nice job of handling my ME-50's distortion. With that, I can get a death metal tone. Not that I ever use it. It's not the most versatile. No effects, nothing. But it is loud. I've played it with my band a few times, and it worked perfectly. It is a bit loud for a bedroom amp. It's not like my old MG15DFX, which was good for bedroom, and pretty much nothing else. I use it in my bedroom and with my band. I have not used it in a gig situation, but I'm sure that I could just mic it up if I really had to. I bought this amp used, and I think it's made a while ago. I read the specs on the modern one, and it seems like they've added a footswitch jack for the Fat.

classicrocker01
    some people are ****ing idiots.its meant for playing blues songs.its ****ing great for blues.ONLY blues.LIKE SRV.NOT FOR CRADLE OF FILTH.OR PANTERA OR ANY METAL THING.IT WASNT MADE FOR METAL IT WAS MADE FOR BLUES, no disrespect or anything,but seriously cmon.its not deathmetal jr
    OD pedal gives me a good Metallica sound. Amp is very punchy for a Fender.
    jmooney1
    i just bought this amp and it is terrific.. for bedroom blues and classic rock stuff its the best, overdrives beautifully, if you want awesome classi vintage tone this is it, simple but if you want tone this is it, it also takes my metal-zone mt-2 pedal nicely, alot of people dont like this pedal but with time and patience you can find some nice distortions. amazing amp
    LonelySyn
    Marshall MG? I have to agree, that's a horrible recommendation, my 120W Crate blows Marshall's MG 200W distortion.. anyways, damn, I wish I could try it, and third review, grow up and be a real musician kid.
    walidb123
    Kevin Saale
    WTF for an MG, how can you give an amp a bad rating because it doesn't do what it's not supposed to badly? I wouldn't give a bass guitar a low score because you can't shred on it....
    clawsofsteel
    E V H 5150
    I personally get great metal tones out of it, with my ME-50. So, yeah, running a pedal solves pretty much everything. This amp was my upgrade from a Marshall MG15DFX. I can tell you that maybe I can't get Van Halen tones from it, but I can play dirty, dirty blues with it just fine. Unlike my Marshall. And the cheap little effects on the Marshall pretty much suck. It's so hard to adjust them, and in the wrong hands, they can become a distraction. Having this amp in my setup makes me feel closer to becoming great... I love the sounds I can get.
    Pete24v
    walidb123 wrote: I was at a rehearsal studio yesterday and my friends 100 watt bass amp was so ****ing loud I couldn't hear the damn guitar. At the volume we play at the Blues Junior seems to be too low. I'm sad about it cus I love the sound and feel of it but it seems I got to get something louder. Yeh, this is a rant but what the hell...
    sounds like you need the Deluxe model, 40 watts... and you get a drive channel
    Pete24v
    i plan on getting one of these in the near future, who has replaced the speaker and with what?
    COWlan
    Fender happens to be good at both making guitars and amps. Search around how many great amps Fender has made in the past, Bassmans, Twins, Vibrolux, Supersonic and etc, too many to name. A myriad of pros use Fender amps, and classic Fender cleans and reverb basically set the bar of what a good amp is supposed to be like.