Blues Junior review by Fender

Fender: Blues Junior

I put my Custom 2007 Fender Japanese Telecaster w/neck humbucker through my Boss ME-50 and into my Blues Junior. I find the neck humbucker gives the amp much more of a boost rather than the less powerful single-coil that comes with the Tele. When put through my distortion pedal, it gives the amp probably one of the best sounds on earth, not to mention the fantastic clean sound you get when put straight into the amp with middle on 1, bass and treble on 12, reverb on 4, volume on 12, master on whatever, and FAT switch off. The clean channel doesn't distort the slightest bit until 11 or 12 so very reliable for gigging, however if you want distortion, I suggest you buy an FX pedal.

For a blues, rock, and metal guitarist such as myself this amp is perfect when matched with the right distortion pedal(I suggest the Boss MT-2). I have been playing for 5 years and have gone through various amps over time, and after my last amp, a Laney, broke again, I knew I had to up my budget a bit. I couldn't have made a better choice, because as I see it, you get what you pay for. If it were stolen or lost, I would see no choice but to buy it, or another Fender amp, because they are the best, and there's n two ways about that. I love the look of the amp, the tone of the amp, the playability and durability and just about everything else, so if you want a valve amp for small gigs and practice, this is it.

It seems to be a very durable amp from what I've been told, and it proved that after I lugged it back from London to Surrey yesterday. I would gig with it without backup, however may consider bringing spare valves to gigs when the sound begins to fail. Because of the fact that I've only had the amp 2 days, though, I can't really judge the reliability or durability, however friends Who have the same amp say that it is very reliable and durable.

The 2008 All-Valve Fender Blues Junior I bought yesterday is easily the most amazing, immense, meat and potatoes amp I've ever bought(as if we expected anything less from Fender). I run my Boss ME-50 through it so I get the 'kick-in-the-nuts' metal sound I look for. As earlier said it is a meat and potatoes kind of amp, with a simple 3-Band EQ, master and volume knobs, an amazing spring reverb knob, and a FAT switch, which gives you that classic Fender crunch. The only let-downs are that it's a single channel amp, so I can't run my iPod into it or jam with a friend, and that there isn't a gain knob, so I can't control the FAT distortion. However the amp is very easy to take apart to install new valves, repairs etc, but I would suggest when changing valves, that you order in the Fender ones for this amp, otherwise it's just not the same.

shaofu0424
    I LOVE MY BLUES JR... i gig regularly with this amp, a cable, and a les paul tv special w p90s and let me say how awesome it is to not have to haul around a bunch o schtuff... the el84s crunch well at volume... i dime out the tone controls to remove the load and use my tone controls on my guitar for brightness... try the tesla/jjs tubes... love em... i have an aftermarket jensen p12q speaker in mine- the stock was a little to brittle... glorious... having said that, i have a couple of complaints and/or suggestions... the tone stack loads the circuit... fender shoulda used the unused portion of one of the 12ax7s to unload the tone stack... this alone would drastically increase the usefulness of the tone stack as well as going a LONG way to reducing the "boxiness" in the circuit... i dont know why they didnt... probably money... it is mod-able if the tech is willing to work on the pcb board... (im not willing to work on the pcb board)... but recognize it voids the warranty... i would also have recommended changing from fixed bias- although it is less trouble- to a bias pot... youd be suprised at the increase in texture from these little nine pin brutes... as well as functionality... but i still love my amp... bedroom to the stage, baby!!!
    raezor
    mine gets a crackling sound from the tubes a lot and when i move the one tube around it crackles more and sometimes goes away. the guy at the store said you just have to move it around a bit until the crackling goes away but sometimes its very extensive and irritating. any suggestions?