Champion 100 Review

manufacturer: Fender date: 07/12/2016 category: Guitar Amplifiers
Fender: Champion 100
This is one of the most versatile and best amps you can get for the money.
 8.3
 8.8
 7.7
 1,524
review (1) pictures (1) user comments vote for this gear:
Champion 100 Reviewed by: keir118, on july 12, 2016

Purchased from: GuitarGuitar

Features: Standard low, mid and high controls, 2 channels with one being just clean (good if your main distortion is from a pedal) and the other with 12 different voices. There are some metal, some British, some tweed and 1 jazz. Both channels come with many built in effects and a footswitch to turn the effects on and off and to switch between channels. 100w with 2x12" speakers. // 8

Sound: I play metal from bands such as Metallica, Iron Maiden, Megadeth, Black Sabbath, Judas Priest etc... And the metal voice on the amp handles the likes of iron maiden quite well bit for Metallica for example, I need to use a high gain pedal as the amp doesn't provide me with the amount of gain I need. The clean tone is nice and clear and has that classic fender tone which sounds very nice with my strat. Effects all sound great, eliminating the need for effects pedals too.

The amp is fairly loud, but because of the open back a lot of the bass is lost, so it does not sound as loud compared to my bandmates Marshall for example. I've been able to play a gig in a medium sized hall and for people at the back to be able to hear it though, so its decently loud. // 8

Reliability & Durability: This amp has never failed me yet. I have only had it for 6 months but I use it every week at a loud volume for many hours and the speaker has never blown and the amp has never overheated. It is also sturdy enough for me (11 stone) to stand on it while playing. Gigging with out a backup I would feel comfortable that nothing would go wrong but I would take a back up anyways. // 10

Overall Impression: Overall, for £200 I think this is one of the most versatile and best amps you can get for the money, although I do wish it was a little more bassy with the distortion but it is a Fender, if I wanted a very bassy amp I should of got a Marshall. Maybe a closed back would of helped with this but then it wouldn't have the fender tone it has. // 9

Comments