Champion 300 review by Fender

Fender: Champion 300

Purchased from: Malta

I use a Gibson Les Paul Classic and a Fender Stratocaster with this Amp, both go well on it, though Fender is better, because it has the match, and sound qualtiy together. It suits perfect to play those Pink Floyd, and Guns N' Roses tunes, but it's not really meant for, Black Sabbath or AC/DC. It does the classic Fender big-amp clean better than any other small amp I've heard, like some have said, it sounds like a little Twin or Deluxe. With the gain channel on about 3 it's also capable of some killer blues & classic rock tone, and it truly does respond to the guitar volume & tone controls in a more lifelike way than most SS amps. But, the clean channel is voiced a bit on the bright side as some have also mentioned. This is easy to fix by opening 'er up and soldering another capacitor across C10. Without looking I believe I used about a 100 or 120 pF, silver mica (although a ceramic disk will work). The part designators are marked on the circuit board and you don't even have to unsolder anything. Experiment with different values, but I found that once you go over a certain size you start losing clarity & punch.

For around the apartment this is by far the most fun amp I have. With a P90 neck pickup I can nail original Santana, Eric's Woman tone, early AC/DC, or any number of classic blues sounds. Does justice to my Strats & Teles, PRS Soapbar SE, & humbuckers. It responds well to external pedals (FullDrive, TS9, choruses, etc) as long as you don't overdrive the input with excessive pedal gain. Funny how Fender's been trying for over 30 years to build good overdrive into their amps and usually the results are not so great, or worse. Somehow they succeeded in doing it in this little thing. SS and all. I have been playing oover 6 years now and I own a Marshall amp, Les Paul, Fender Stratocaster, and 2 acoustics. I use effects with it too, wether it's a Wah, delay or distortion, It's perfect for the job. If it was stolen or lost I would definately buy another one if I have the cash. I wish it had a pedal switch though, because you would easily change effects and sounds from it, but I guess it's cool the way it is too.

I'd gig with it, I always do, Wether there's an excelent PA or just Mic'ed, but check those input jacks first, and whatever you do don't drop it. I had my amp broken down, alot of times, but thats because I didn't care of the Input Jacks, I used to drop them on the floor, etc. but If you take really care of it, it turns out to be a perfect amp. I certainly can depend on it, and I will keep on doing shows with it in the future.

This amp is very suitable for the styles I play, although my style should include Marshall amps, I use this Fender Amp, because it's easy, and the sound qualtiy is much clearer, in my opinion. I play styles such as Guns N' Roses, Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, Aerosmith, etc. The amp features 2 inputs one for regular pickups the second for high output (active) pickups. Volume dial. Channel select to switch between gain and clean channels. Gain dial-adjusts distortion and seperate volume dial for gain channel. Channel indicator lights up when gain channel is selected. Dials for treble, mid, and bass. Seperate volume dial for effects-onboard effects are Vibratone, 3 levels of delay, 4 levels of reverb including combo of reverb and delay, 4 levels of chorus including combo of chorus and delay-chorus and reverb, 2 levels of flange and 2 levels of tremelo. External footswitch input for optional Fender 1-button pedal. Input for headphones for silent practicing. Large red light indicates power is on or off. Power switch on back and power socke, power cord included.

TJK-frosterfreq
    i have one, and it's very good if you want to like practice or just jam out or something, im not sure about doing gigs with it though...
    Jonny92
    I have one and i chose it after trying out many of the same sized Marshalls and Crate amps and it's by far the best, i only have one problem, the distortion with high gaing gives too much feedback, but i mainly use my pedal so it sorta that out. 10/10 for me