Champion 600 review by Fender

Fender: Champion 600

Purchased from: Alto MusicI

I use this amp with a Gibson SG and a Fulltone OCD Overdrive pedal, with an EHX Holy Grail pedal for reverb. I get an amazing clean to classic rock tone with this combination. When my guitar is muted, there is no sound coming from the amp what'soever. It's such a smooth little amp. When you use the high gain circuit and crank it up, it gets a very smooth and warm breakup. Like a good Fender amp, this thing takes anything plugged into it and does the sound justice.

This amp is just what I need for practicing alone in my dorm room, and I can jam with other guitarists with it. It doesn't keep up with a drummer without an extension cab, but that's not why I bought it. If something happened to it, I would buy two more and run them in stereo. Great little amp, especially for the price. Don't think twice, buy it!

It's a very solid little amp, no problems here. My only complaint is that the tolex (is that even tolex) gets marked easily. It rubbed up against my spraypainted case in the back seat of my car, and it left a red streak on my amp. Still, that's purely cosmetic.

I bought this amp for the beautiful cleans, and the small size. It is my second tube amp, and I bought it for use in my dorm room. It's the perfect size (6" speaker) and volume (5w tube, which equals about 20w ss). It has two inputs, one for low gain, one for high gain, and is one channel, with Class A circuitry. The only thing I wish it had were a headphone jack, like the Peavey Valveking Royal 8 does. One of the best parts of the amp is the extension jack for another speaker cabinet. The 6" speaker is fine for low volumes, but once you plug it into a 4x12, the thing really screams.

Butsku
    CORT noob
    Butsku wrote: Its a shame that it doesn't have a headphone jack. Is the extension jack usable with headphones in any way?
    I'm pretty sure that would blow both your headphones, and your output transformer. Maybe you could do a mod, but don't try to plug your headphones in.
    Butsku
    ok, then I'll have to think how often I'll play with headphones on. I don't want to wake my neighbors up... I could just play my guitar unplugged in the late evenings though.