Champion 600 review by Fender

Fender: Champion 600

I tested the Champion out with a Fender Mustang and a Grestch Pro Jet. It wasn't that noisy even with the Mustang's single coils. With the Mustang, it had a nice, crisp sound. I didn't get the chance to do any kind of real overdrive, but it has a lot of headroom before it overdrives naturally. With the Pro Jet, the sound was a little bit fatter and warmer. For both guitars I used the Hi-gain line in.

I like to play classic rock, punk, surf, alternative, and jazz. This amp is really suited towards those styles, save for maybe punk. You'll probably need an overdrive pedal for that. At first I was a little weary about the lack of any EQ, but it sounds great with just your guitar's tone control. If I get this amp, I'd get an EQ control sometime in the future. I played this amp along with a Vox Valvetronix and a Marshall DSL combo. It's not as great as the Marshall, but it's unfair to compare the Champion to a DSL. This amp is great for anyone Who wants great tone but is only a bedroom player.

This amp is pretty solid it's very well built and looks great. I'd be a little careful with the suede grillcloth (well it feels like suede) but it is pretty thick. The back is protected with a removable closed back that has an opening at the bottom for the power cord. Still, the suede grillcloth makes me want to be a little careful with this amp. This amp is probably not loud enough for a band practice with a drummer. But, you can play this thing through an extension cabinet. The only thing is that it will look like a TV on top of some speakers.

The Champion is a 2007 made amp that is a reproduction of the 1949-1950 Fender Champion in it's "TV-set" incarnation. It has a volume control (that interestingly goes to 12), a pretty ruby power light and standby/on switch, and two line ins, one high gain and one low gain.

thewho65
    I never got a chance to play it with heavier overdrive and such, does the 6'' speaker effect it in any way? I've heard that it can sound kind of "tiny" or something.
    punk4punk
    most beutifull sound i've ever heard. use a semi- hollow guitar with it(perfection)
    Wulver
    Punk4punk has got it right. this is the amp I tend to go to when trying out guitars in GC now. near angelic cleans, makes every guitar sound great. (I've used an Epi Casino, a Gibson LP Jr, and a Reverse Strat through it, all great)
    sberube1979
    Butsku wrote: Its a shame that it doesn't have a headphone jack. Is the extension jack usable with headphones in any way?
    This is a tube amp, crank those tubes and buy one of those little Vox headphone amps for when you need to be quiet