Deluxe 85 review by Fender

Fender: Deluxe 85

geluidsterroris
    Features: The Fender eighty-five Deluxe is a 85 Watt solid state amp with a 12" speaker. This amp is versatile for a lot of styles like blues and rock, but there isn't enough distortion for a real heavy metal sound, so if you are into metal, you'de better buy a stompbox. The amp has two channels (you can Switch between them with a footswitch that comes with it). One clean channel, and one channel with all the settings like reverb, distortion, etc. You can also use these functions on the clean channel, using the footswitch. The footswitch has 3 switches, one for channel switching, one for the boost (yes it has a boost, which I really like, and one for the reverb. There are quite a lot of jackets: input channel 1, input channel 2, preamp in, preamp out, headphone, footswitch. // 9 Sound: My guitar is a Washburn X10, with the standard factory pickups (why replace them). I mainly play blues, but also some other styles like rock and metal. The amp has a very warm sound, becaus of the large speaker. The reverb is great, because it isn't digital but analog (yes this amplifier is pretty old). If you turn the reverb to 10, your sound is really awesome. I haven't tried the distortion yet (the amp is being repaired, I will explain you later), but some other reviews told me it isn't really metal-ish. The clean sound is great, there are no other noises, also with the volume high (5 out of 10). The volume is pretty high, because my neighbours are complaining, even with the volume on 1. I Live in a free-standing house so it's pretty loud. // 10 Reliability & Durability: Like I said before, it is being repaired. That's because the input jackets weren't alright when I bought it (I bought it second-hand). The previous owner explained me that these jackets break down pretty easily. I haven't had other trouble with it, so when it comes back from the repairer, it should be alright. I would rely on it on a gig, without backup (I don't have a choice, my other amp has 15 watt), but it will be okay. // 6 Impression: I really love this amp, mainly because of the warm sound, the equalizer, and especially the reverb. If I'd lose it, I would buy a new one (If I could afford it, yep that's right I don't have a lot of money). I have chosen it, because since I have seen and heard it, I really wanted to have it. I started searching on the internet, (www.marktplaats.nl, it's a Dutch website), and I found this one. // 9
    God's Guitarist
    what the hell are you doing?? obviously no one reads reviews for the deluxe 85 cos you are cookin out! i have this amp, bought it off some dude who worked on my shed. i thought it was 35 watts? - woh 85W, no wonder i play the volume at 3 the whole time! really nice cleans but def not the best (sound: 10 wtf?? i dont think so!). distortion is no good. reverb is really nice tho. they dont make these anymore so no one cares anyway.
    geluidsterroris
    they dont make these anymore so no one cares anyway.
    who cares? When I bought it it wasn't made. I bought it second hand. Second hand amps can be really good
    Mushroom123
    Hey people do look at this review (me). I needed advice on getting this amp. Jonny Greenwood used to use this amp, but recently switched to a Fender Eighty-Five (the amp i decided to go with instead)... I should write a review on it :s
    God's Guitarist
    hmm i dont know what was going on when i wrote that comment. may have been drunk or something. in any case apologies, i even got angry at myself there. a nice clean tone (scooped as hell, basic fender stuff) for minimal price ($400 AUD) was had by me - and is still being had. i spose it may be a little collectible later due to its redundancy and aforementioned johnny greenwood factor.
    2Loose
    Bought mine new way, way back. Got a bunch of other amps, mostly old tube amps I manage to keep running. This one is my tried and true old dependable practice amp. Never been into a repair shop. Play the crunch channel at about 3, add a delay pedal, good for practicing blues runs for me. Don't use it for gigs, have plenty other stuff better for that. But would not hesitate to use it if I had to. That 12" speaker will blast, and with the proper settings and stomp boxes, it does crank!!!! 2Loose, Hawaii
    sff62
    I've had one since about '92 from new. A wide spectrum of tones although i've always had a sneaky feeling that it's hiding something at the extremes. Has been very reliable although just recently the boost button on the footswitch has failed...great practice amp, esp as has headphone socket for my wifes sanity!