EVH 5150 III 50W Head review by Fender

Fender: EVH 5150 III 50W Head

Purchased from: Friend

This amp is amazing. The white ivory model looks beautiful with the black grill. The 4, 8, 16 ohm switch allows you to break out all your cabs and start ripping through them! Haha this amp is very versatile you can get glassy cleans to crazy amount of crunch. Now if only this amp had reverb built in! But its ok it makes up for that. There is also a midi insert in the back for the midi pedalboard guys. The Presence and Resonance knobs add that little extra to the already great sound of this amp. This amp has seven 12AX7s for tone and two 6L6 for power. There is also a Send and Return on the back of amp.

I play heavy metal so the red channel is perfect, I used to always play with a pedal but there's almost no need for me to on red channel.. Crazy amount of gain. The blue and green channels share the same eq (there is a bit of a volume jump) but sound great for more mellow driven leads or rhythms. The clean channel with the gain cranked up sounds great! I have tried playing with my Ibanez Tube Screamer and this amp and honestly there's almost no need for it to me personally. This thing gets very loud to, I usually play through Rivera 2x12 or Marshall 4x12 and they both sound great paired with this amp.

This thing is built like a tank! Fires up and always sounds amazing. The footswitch makes for easy channel switching (haha duh). The looks of this amp are amazing as well! The white ivory color tolex on the outside looks great with the black grill. They do a real good job and the plant making these amps. The lights for each channel are very bright. This thing is meant to be gigged and cranked every night. I can only imagine how loud or much headroom the 100 watt model has. I have played this amp at a bar gig that had no PA and had this this a little more over 12:00 volume wise and it was super loud almost to loud haha. (This was at a smaller dive bar kinda place but still).

I would highly suggest trying this amp out! You will not regret it. The 15w model also slays great amp very impressed. You can find a used one for $600-800 or just buy new for a good price compared to some $2500 and up priced amps. This guy can hang, I was all about my mesa dual rec and and tube screamer for my tone for the last couple years but I think i Like this amp more.( Just a little Don't get me wrong I LOVE Mesa amps). If you play any type of metal or heavy music this amp is for you. I also play a seven string guitar and tune low and this amp just lets that low crunch come through so good.

Check out this video for some tones and demo on the 5150iii 50Watt Amp!

YouTube preview picture