EVH 5150 III 50W Head Review

reviews (3) pictures (2) 9 comments vote for this gear:
EVH 5150 III 50W Head Reviewed by: Jason_GOBR, on february 11, 2014

Price paid: A$ 1249

Purchased from: Musicians Friend

Features: The little brother of the EVH 5150 III 100W Head, it packs arena volume, tone and performance in a compact package. Can be used with with 1, 2 or 4 x 12" cabs and with it's 2 speaker outs it can even be set up to power 2 quad boxes at the same time.

Features:

- 3 channels, Channel 1 and 2 share EQ
- Master presence control
- Channel 1 and 2: gain, low, mid, high and volume controls
- Channel 3: gain, low, mid, high, volume and master resonance controls
- Selectable impedance (4, 8 or 16 ohms)
- 4 Button foot switch
- Accommodates MIDI footswitching

It could do with a built-in reverb but aside from that it's features are spot on. // 9

Sound: This amp is loud and sounds amazing played loud. However still sounds great at lower volumes. I mainly use it for gigs, recording & rehearsals but have no problem jamming it at home at lower volumes. It does have a headphone jack for people that are concerned about noise. I play many different genres of music and this amps sound accommodates for all of them.

Green Channel (CLEAN):

The clean sound on this amp is great, it's not the best cleans I've heard but it is in no way horrible. I use a delay and sonic maxi-miser in my effects loop, this seems improves the cleans tremendously. There is a volume jump but i like the dramatic jump from cruisy cleans to dirty distortions.

Blue Channel (HIGH GAIN):

Before buying the amp I thought the Red Channel (Super High Gain) would be my favorite but along with a huge amount of gain the blue channel has an incredibly warm sound. If this was the only channel on the amp I would still buy it purely for this channel. Along with sounding great it is very versatile and can be tweaked to suit/play any genre you care to.

Red Channel (SUPER HIGH GAIN):

MOTHER OF GAIN! Grab some Vasso because you are about to be f--ked in the ears and I say that in the best of ways. This channel still holds that warmth from the blue channel but then slams it with two tons of oh so much gain. If you can't handle the raw power behind the gain on this channel you can always scale back the gain knob for a beautiful crunchy distortion.

All and all the sound on this amp is top notch and if you can't tweak it to suit your style you need to go back to your bedroom amp. // 10

Reliability & Durability: The amp looks solid and I have yet to have any problems with it. I have played many gigs with it including one where I traveled interstate, on a plane, without a road case and it still plays just as good as the day I got it, maybe better, if that's even possible? The hardware and all the components inside look as if they will last. I have not had any problems nor has any I know that owns one. It is made by Fender and endorsed by Eddie Van Halen and I would not expect him to put his name behind something he didn't believe in. So far it's 10/10 from me but I did read of a couple of cases where bits had come loose. However I've read many more positive reviews then negative. // 10

Overall Impression: Overall the EVH 5150 III 50W Head is the best amp I have played in a long time. It is not hindered by it's size/wattage in any way and the only advantage I could see from getting the 100W version is it having more head room. I'm in a blues based groove/thrash metal band who play many shows around Australia and it works perfectly for me. However I do dabble into other genres especially when jamming by myself and let me tell you this amp has it covered. For me this was an important purchase and I spent a lot of time comparing different models and brands of amplification before deciding on this one. Ultimately the EVH 5150 III won out in all aspects including Sound, Features, Reliability & Price. I would not discourage anyone from buying this amp. // 10

EVH 5150 III 50W Head Reviewed by: Rookd, on may 10, 2016

Purchased from: Friend

Features: This amp is amazing. The white ivory model looks beautiful with the black grill. The 4, 8, 16 ohm switch allows you to break out all your cabs and start ripping through them! Haha this amp is very versatile you can get glassy cleans to crazy amount of crunch. Now if only this amp had reverb built in! But its ok it makes up for that. There is also a midi insert in the back for the midi pedalboard guys. The Presence and Resonance knobs add that little extra to the already great sound of this amp. This amp has seven 12AX7s for tone and two 6L6 for power. There is also a Send and Return on the back of amp. // 9

Sound: I play heavy metal so the red channel is perfect, I used to always play with a pedal but there's almost no need for me to on red channel.. Crazy amount of gain. The blue and green channels share the same eq (there is a bit of a volume jump) but sound great for more mellow driven leads or rhythms. The clean channel with the gain cranked up sounds great! I have tried playing with my Ibanez Tube Screamer and this amp and honestly there's almost no need for it to me personally. This thing gets very loud to, I usually play through Rivera 2x12 or Marshall 4x12 and they both sound great paired with this amp. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This thing is built like a tank! Fires up and always sounds amazing. The footswitch makes for easy channel switching (haha duh). The looks of this amp are amazing as well! The white ivory color tolex on the outside looks great with the black grill. They do a real good job and the plant making these amps. The lights for each channel are very bright. This thing is meant to be gigged and cranked every night. I can only imagine how loud or much headroom the 100 watt model has. I have played this amp at a bar gig that had no PA and had this this a little more over 12:00 volume wise and it was super loud almost to loud haha. (This was at a smaller dive bar kinda place but still). // 10

Overall Impression: I would highly suggest trying this amp out! You will not regret it. The 15w model also slays great amp very impressed. You can find a used one for $600-800 or just buy new for a good price compared to some $2500 and up priced amps. This guy can hang, I was all about my mesa dual rec and and tube screamer for my tone for the last couple years but I think i Like this amp more.( Just a little Don't get me wrong I LOVE Mesa amps). If you play any type of metal or heavy music this amp is for you. I also play a seven string guitar and tune low and this amp just lets that low crunch come through so good.

Check out this video for some tones and demo on the 5150iii 50Watt Amp!

// 10