FM 100 Head review by Fender

Fender: FM 100 Head

Purchased from: Portmans Music

I went looking for another head and saw this. After playing the others I decided while I was there I might as well try it. I expected the clean channel to be real clean and crisp which it is but the Drive and especially more Drive is what floored me. After playing for several minutes I then realized I haven't even adjusted the tone knobs yet. The drive channels especially the more Drive function is exactly what I was trying to find. I left the store and several hours later came back to confirm what I had heard earlier and decided then I had to get it. The distortion is smooth and crunchy not like the fuzzy tones of todays amps. Sustain is forever. It has the mid punch of older marshalls but with the sustain and chunk to punch right through. I didn't have to fight it, it pretty much played itself. I didn't think a Fender could sound like this.

The clean channel was what I figured it would be but the Drive channels floored me. it's been awhile since I've played Solid State and this amp really impressed me. The Drive tone and sustain this amp produces is exactly what I have been looking for. Been a player for 28 years and haven't been this impressed in a long time.

Made in china and appears to be well built. Only time will tell. I have a room and closet full of amps and haven't played out since 83 and wanted to avoid buying tubes every year or so. Solid State has indeed come a long way. didn't need a half stack but I like the 4-12 sound and what's great about this rig is it sounds great at low volume levels. I have an old Music Man tube amp that sounds amazing but you have to crank it to make it sing and by then your killing your neighbors. not with this head.

'06 Model. 3 Channels, clean, drive, more drive. Reverb and comes with a footswitch. FX loop, 100 watts @ 4 ohms. Mono solid state. I give it a 10 because it has all you need. FX pedals are optional but not really nedded with this head. The black tolex is nice and smooth and the fit and wood work seems pretty top notch. Not heavy at all.

GTB24
    i lie it but on a completly different amp the roland microcube limted edition in white do any of u think i should get it because ive got 300 pounds to spend and im getting an ibanez iceman for 229 so i need a good practice amp with quite a big grunt do u think this is the best amp for me ?????
    Modest Moose
    umm... you really need to learn yourself some punctuation. And spelling. And the english language in general.
    uposb4
    You should get what sounds good to you. Everyone has their own taste as far as sound. I just sold a peavey Supreme XL head that i hated but the guys i play with loved it. Go to your local music stores and audition them until you find what you like.