FM 100 Head review by Fender

Fender: FM 100 Head

Purchased from: Local Music Shop

This is a Fender, so the clean channel is ungodly, this thing puts out a better clean sound than almost any tube amp I've ever played with. Very good sound coming from the clean channel. With that being said, the Drive channel is a different story. The Drive has a very unique sound, very close to that of Jack White. This thing does not work for hard rock or metal, but does very well for punk rock or classic rock.

This is a great stack for the money, an incredible value. I'm using mine for the clean sounds and searching for a different stack for the dirty sounds. it's a very good match for any baby boomer and puts out some very good Vintage Drive. I play it out of a Gibson SG and a Epi Les Paul. It is very very loud, I never have the volume past a 3, if you intend to use the drive channel I suggest you buy a noise gate as there is a lot of feedback from this amp.

Built like a rock, never had any problems with mine. Cab is very heavy though (heavier than most Marshall cabs) I think it weighs in around 80 pounds or so. It is a solid state amp so I wouldn't expect this thing to ever break down. Cab and head have all plywood constructon which makes them very durable. The seams to the Tolex seem a little loose though, which can be easly solved with 10 minutes and a little epoxy.

Fender has never really been known for loading their amps with a ton of features. This amp is very basic treble, mids, bass, and volume on the clean channel. Drive, more drive, treble, mids, bass, and volume on the dirty channel. It also has one reverb control for both (which I personally don't like). The only thing I actually hate about this head is that it only has one 4ohm output, so you can't power more than one cab.