FM 100 Head review by Fender

Fender: FM 100 Head

Purchased from: Local musicstore

The sound is awesome and it was the biggest reason I bought theis amp. As I mentioned earlier I use two guitars one with active pickups and one with passive and due to it's to inputs it really works great with both guitars. This amp works great with my les paul because it otherwise has a pretty warm soft sound but with this amp I can really make it sound real sharp, as well as warm and smooth. In the clean and Drive channels it's makes almost no noise at all, with the more Drive channel it makes a little buzzing sound. With the mid contour activated the buzzing is less. The first song I played on it was 2-4-6-8 Motorway Tom Robinson Band and it's really awesome on that kind of rythm playing because it really has the bass sound that creates the rythm but it also has the treble so that the melody tones are heard above the rythm playing in that kind of riffs. You can really play real loud with this thing without any changes in the sound and that's great! If you anyway need to make more noise you can allways plug in a few more speakers as backup, I've tried that at home and I wont do it again because my ears kept ringing the rest of that day. It's really enough distortion in this baby for me but I guess if there's anyone out there Who want's a fat load of mega distortion you better go buy a pedal or maybe another amp? But when I play Maiden and Metallica it really does the job great.

As I've said before it really matches my style great. Before I bought this amp I had been around looking for amps in the same price so I had tried quite a few before, mainly Marshall and Peavey. I found this one and it was outstanding. If it was stolen or lost I'd go straight to the store and buy another one. I really love the sound of it and it really can do everything between a classic rock rhythm to a mesmerising solo or an Iron Maiden kick ass riff. The thing that makes the features so special is the way the complement each other so it's really an enjoyable amp! So basicly I'm so glad I found this one and it was a real catch for the price!

It's really a great amp I can't imagine that it would break down just like that, the guys at the store also told me that this one really was relieable and so far that's my impression to! In the manual it says that if any liquid is poured into the amp you should stop playing immidieatly and wait until it's dry, so keep your beers away guys. Otherwise it feels like this one handles the most and I would gig without a backup with it. Have owned it for a few months and so far not a single problem.

The amp has three channels, clean, drive and more drive. It also has a mid contour that can be switched on on either of the Drive channels, this makes a great distortion for more modern music. There is also a built in reverb. It's got two inputs, one more sensitive for passive pickups and one less sensitive for active pickups, this is a great feature! I play with either an Epiphone les paul with active pickuos or a Telecaster with passive pickups. It's really a big difference between using the right and the wrong input on each guitar (an experience I earned before I checked the manual). It comes with a Fender FM 100 speaker with four 12" speakers, which provides a great sound. If you want to use headphones you'll have to plug them in in the back of the head because it doesn't have any output for headphones in the front. It has en effects loop, which can also be used to plug in reinforcing speakers or plug into a recording device. It also has an input for a footswitch to change between the Drive and more Drive channels. This footswitch was according to the manual included but it was no where to be found! I asked at the store and obviusly Fender hadn't sent any with the amp to the store in the first place. Anyway I plugged in my old footswitch and it worked but a bad miss either way. It's also to bad that the Switch only changes between the Drive channels but it's very useful anyway changin between solo and rythm playing. The amp also has three knobs bass, treble and middle for the clean channel and three more for the two Drive channels. Pretty good features for my kind of playing I think. I play a lot of different stuff but mainly rock and blues, of course everything between classic rock and metal. This amp works great for all that. It can do everything from bluesy crunch to heavy riffs. So the features are great but the missing footswitch pulls it down.

The Masterplan
    to that first comment guy, get a vox valvetronix if you don't play metal, if you do, a roland cube. no microcube limited edition...