FM 212R review by Fender

• Reviewer's score: 7 Good
Fender: FM 212R

Purchased from: Local small guitar shop

The guitar I am using with this amp is an Epiphone Firebird VII with three mini humbuckers. The quality of this amp is fantastic, and without looking at it you may mistake it for tube. The bass on this amp is incredible, complimenting my blues playing. With light distortion, this amp can do a great job. There is some hissing when turned up, but at a quiet volume it's unnoticeable. This amp can do wonders with blues, sounds great with classic rock, can do pretty well with metal, and you can probably use it while playing some punk (I would never play anything like punk, so I can't tell you what it sounds like). When I played this outside for a bunch of people, the clean channel never let me down. It stayed nice, bassy, and clear. The distortion can get pretty raunchy at 10 with the "more Drive" channel added.

Like I've said now many times, this amp is perfect for my types of music. I also have an old Epiphone EP-800 that I just recently hooked up to the Fender to act as a second amp. With both of these going at once, the possibilities are not endless, but rather very long (endless would be false advertising, now wouldn't it). If it were stolen, I would probably look at getting a better amp with more power simply because I would have to get an amp with more power soon anyways. I love this amp because of it's quality, I miss it's lack of some effects, and I can't stop using the second channel on light distortion. I compared it to a Vox AD50VT Valvetronix and needed more power than that. Overall, I'm sort of sad I didn't get something with more "umph" and more features.

I can always depend on this amp to make new sounds and help me with my experimentation. At small gigs, this thing would be fine. I've had it for a few months now and nothing has happened at all. I think I can trust the Fender name and hopefully nothing bad will happen.

I play mainly blues, classic rock, some metal (not extremely heavy), and some stuff of my own. This amp hasn't dissapointed me in any of those genres/styles. It has two channels plus an extra "more Drive" button to bump up the distortion. There is also a "mid contour" button which changes the sound a little though I am still unaware as to what it does exactly. The clean channel has volume, treble, mid, and bass knobs which work very well and have very nice range. The second channel has a Drive knob, plus the same knobs of the first channel. A spring reverb knob acts for both channels. I would like to see it with some chorus/flanger effects just because the quality is so nice and my DigiTech GNX2 doesn't have the greatest effect qualities. This amp also has pre-in and pre-out jacks for other capabilities (such as connecting to other amps). I've used it in a backyard "show", you may call it, and it was perfect. It was plenty loud for that as I normally keep it at 2 or less in my room. I accidentally bought mine without the footswitch- but it should come free if you get it at the right place.

OttovanZanten
    i heard some bad things about it... on volume level 3 (from 10) the sound goes off... amp is on, volume automatically goes to 0 or somthing, weird, heard that problem a lot, but im still thinking of buying 1, finally a 100 watt amp that i can buy