FM 212R review by Fender

Fender: FM 212R

Purchased from: Herried's Music Store

I play everything from reggae to metal and the amp handles any tone necessary. Playing my Strat through it evokes smooth and creamy twang in clean and enormous shrieks and pinches in overdrive. I also play a drop-tuned SG through to find that great, heavy, chug-chug sound that can only be found with Fender. Upon hitting the mid-range scoop I was blown away by the amazing distortion, with practically no noise. The clean channel rings loud and clear with the volume up to six (as loud as I've dared to crank it yet). Simply put, the amp (with footswitch) enables you to jump straight from heaven to hell.

The Fender FM212R is a great amp, a real value for the power, and an amazing monster of tone, variety, brutality, and clarity encompassed. Having played for around four years, it is the perfect amp for me, as I am just beginning to perform small scene shows and concerts that require enough volume, but not walls of cabinets. The amp pairs up amazingly with both my Strat and SG. Having chosen the amp to match up with the other guitarist in my band, whom owns a similiar Fender solid-state combo, I have been completely satisfied as my band now produces some crushing sounds. The FM212R is the amp I was looking for. And it looks great!

Even in the short time I've owned my FM212R, I've found it to be both reliable and durable. Even when bumped quite roughly while being played through, no noise was audible. I'm really anxious for spring, so I can really put it to the test with some outdoor gigging. The amp seems dependable so far though, and even so, comes with a 5-year warranty.

The new FM212R's are great amps! There is 100 watts of power through two 12" Celestions all in a solid, portablle, light (48lbs.) combo. There are three foot switchable channels (2-button footswitch included) and a mid-contour feature for modern distortions and a variety of tones. Sadly the mid-range scoop isn't footswitchable; a third button on the footwitch would have been nice. Also, there are in and outputs for an effects loop or connection to sound reinforcement or recording equipment. The 100 watts of solid-state power is perfect for the small to medium-sized scene gigs that I play and the Blackface look is great in small stage setups.

nevercon69
    i went to a guitar center to try this amp and i have to disagree with the sound quality bit...it's way too twangy and bright. i tried to get different sounds out of it but it would not budge. i think it's a nice amp, but the sound isn't versatile enough for a 9
    joe_k
    this amp is great for the price. you get a pretty damn good clean tone out of it but the drive channel is a waste of space, alright for softer overdrive but gets worse the more gain you add. the reverb on mine is barely noticable even when it is turned up ful blast but i think thats because i have dropped it one too many times. i have gigged with it for a year and it hasnt let me down at all.
    leondb
    I sampled this at Easy Music Center, and I really like this this amp! I always liked Fender guitars and amps. I had one back in 94. I am curious though, has anyone gotten their hands on a Fender MH-500 (Metal Head) 550 watt head/cabinet yet? I didn't see any reviews here, and am really curious if anyone owns or knows someone who owns one, or even tried one out yet... I haven't seen one yet at any local shops.
    youreowned
    Absolutely the best amp you can get for its price. Me and my friend bought two and got an even better combined deal!
    thyentityremage
    this amp is awesome...i love it. my parents got it for me for christmas and ive almost blown my ear drums off with it...unfortunatley...its under repair right now...my friend broke off a nob...the dirty channel nob...and its too damn loud
    !MoosE!
    DaveForte
    This is a truely beautiful amp, i have one. Will write a review when i have time. I am no pro, but this amp produces some of the most beautiful sound, especially with a bit of reverb. Id buy another, given i had the cash.
    westo
    !MoosE! wrote: I need to get a more powerful amp for my band. We play rock and metal. I know this amps distortion ain't great, but i use an Electro Harmonix Metal Muff any way. Would it be worth getting one of these? I also like to play clean bluesy stuff too.
    just get a hot rod deluxe.