FM 212R review by Fender

Fender: FM 212R

Purchased from: k&s music (williamsport)

I mostly use my B.C. Rich Custom Shop Stealth with a Dimebucker in the bridge for my guitars, occaisionally I'll use my EC-50, and it just makes my sound even tighter. The whole setup just pleases my need so much. It fits roughly 90%. It is missing some gain, but that's because it isn't tube. If it was a tube amp it'd be a clear 100%. The cleans, the drive, the everything is perfect on this amp. I have none, and I use it with the gain on 6 with my Boss on level: 1 o'clock and drive: 9 o'clock and it makes almost no noise (the little noise heard is bearable). If high enough the drive is almost tube-ish even w/out my pedal. The clean stays nice and, well, clean at any volume, and the all-around control of this amp's tone and noise/vol. control is nicely done for Fender. Distortion problems, slightly meek, but Fender isn't exactly a death metal brand, right? Still, what it lacks in distortion, the cleans more than make up for it.

My style of folky-acoustic guitar mixed with heavy as hell metal makes this amp my baby. The styles meld together and the clean with a load of bass will make your electric sound acoustic (my win, as I haven't bothered with acoustic yet) and the distortion with a good compression/OD pedal with equal amounst of high mids and bass will give you a clean punch that any metalhead would recognize. If the first I'd firstly kill whatever roadie lost it or I'd spend numerous days trying to find it. If it were stolen, I would pay twice as much as I paid to get my original back and if I had to, I'd buy another one. I love this on clean and with OD'd drive, but I slightly dislike the drive by itself. I compared this with a Crate (model escapes) and I picked this over it solely on the clean setting, and I think if I could have, I'd buy the Crate for natural distortion and keep the Fender for cleans and OD'd drive. I also tried out a Marshall MG something and thought the Fender kicked it in the nuts and walked away laughing. Perfect, well, expect for that if it was a tube amp then it'd be given 10/10 everywhere.

As stated before, no need for a backup, and this thing is sturdy, oh yeah. I think if I dropped this from a man's height or two and it'd be fine. for a very used amp, this amp is extremely well done and never goes kablush. The reliability is nice, I'd rely on it if I ever had a tube amp with bad cleans and I needed some decent cleans, if that happened, this amp would have it's place.

I play very diverse metal (mostly stuff like Opeth and Watain) and the more Drive channel through my Boss OverDrive is sick sounding and the cleans are so fracking amazing. I'd tour with this bitch! Channels: clean/drive/more drive/mid contour. In order, the channels go amazing/decent/amazing/good. These channels all meet my expectations 100%, I've played other Fender amps and have been pleased with the sounds and wanted to buy my own. Basic settings, and reverb. I wish this had a built in delay but that's just hoping for a lot. I love the features this has and I will probably use this amp as my cabs if I buy a head. I use it in band practice, home practice, jamming, and rehearsals and gigs. In bedroom jams it is slightly loud, but what the hell, right? For jamming with some random dudes at K&S (the equivalent of a GC around here) it is awesome, and I love showing off the punchy-ass tone. Rehearsles and gigs it is just perfect, and I do not use any backup, and it makes me happy that I bought this amp. For a SS amp, this amp is so good and has a nice warm punch rather than others SS amps which have a dull gain. The dual input is good when my guitarist decides he doesn't want to take his amp to practice.

yourxtragedy
    I've had this amp for about 3 years and overall I still love it. I got tired of the footswitch pretty quickly and started buying effects; even without add in's though, this thing sounds good for the price. It's gotten me by with practices for sure, and I'm positive it'd be just fine for gigs.
    guy_tebache
    BlueSky6392 : uhm.. i hve a question... i was thinking of buying this.... but then i saw the frontman 212r.. its about the same price.. i dont know what which one is better.. any advice?
    They are the same amp. The front man is just repackaged
    BlueSky6392 : and what about marshall mg50fdx its a bit more and only 50 watts but some people say it has better sound.. i dont know what which one to buy..
    lespaul#1
    BlueSky6392 wrote: I've owned both and it really depends what you want out of your amp. Do you like onboard effects or pedals? Or no effects at all? do you like clean or overdrive or both? I prefer the fender cos its REALLY loud and I dont like onboard effects so much except reverb, It plays all the stuff i play pretty well, plus its got the option of a clean channel (whereas the marshall has 2 overdrive channels) so the only was this amp could be more perfect for me was if it was a tube amp. people said marshall has a better distortion and stuff. but i have a gt10 multieffect(someone got it for me).. so is it better to buy the fender? cuz i can make the overdrive sound without the marshall overdrive channel? or is the overdrive channel is sounds better than my effect?
    The Fender has a better clean sound and better reverb, if you have a multieffect pedal with your desired distortion, buy the Fender.