FM 212R review by Fender

Fender: FM 212R

Price paid: A$ 550

I use this amp with a bunch of effects and an Epiphone Les Paul Standard. This gets a pretty great sound for most styles, but whenever I need a Strat/single coil sound I find my self always using the Drive channel for that extra bite. If you use the Drive channel on high Drive it gets really noisy, but I've never had any problems with noise on the clean channel that wasn't caused by something else. That said, the Drive is pretty nice for a stock overdrive. For some styles of music you would prefer a Marshall overdrive, but this still works well.

I've been playing around 6 years and this was my first serious amp, though now I'm due a nice tube halfstack. It's a very nice intermediate players amp and plays well in most if not all genres. I like the overdrive and clean channels, and I like the reverb, though there are better sounds to be had. It wouldn't be stolen cos it weighs a ton.

I've never had any reliability problems, but I've heard that if you use this amp at high volumes (though with a full band and a full FOH system I've never had to turn it past 4) and high Drive, the amp can overheat and cut out after extended use. It's built like a brick. I'm more worried about it breaking me when I carry it around

This amp was made in 2005 and it is pretty cool for a cheapish 100W solid state. I play funk, rock, indie, prog rock, metal, and a bit of everything else. It plays all of these styles really well. It has 2 channels: clean/ overdrive, with a "more drive" option on the Drive channel, and also comes with spring reverb. It comes with a footswitch for channel/more Drive and has 2 12" Fender speakers. I've used this amp for pratice, gigs and recording and it works fine for all of them. The thing that drew me to this amp was that it was cheap and simple. I like effects pedals and I'm not really into onboard FX.

The^Unforgiven
    Not saying this is not a good amp, have one myself, and it's perfect for practicing (considering the price), but... which part of the amp's tone is 'brutal' or 'versatile'? Old-skool rock'n'roll this amp can and will handle on it's own, but for metal I at least need a distortion pedal. Using a Boss MT2 myself and it gets the damn job done.
    Jake-_-Thompson
    I ahve this amp myself and only one complaint it boosts the treble so much! Very annoying as i like a really bassy sound other than that it's perfect