FM 212R review by Fender

Fender: FM 212R

Purchased from: Guitar Center-Towson

There is a little bit of hum with this amp and I am not sure why. It could be because of my guitar however I am not sure. It may also be related to the apartment I Live in, because I do not know if the third prong of the outlet is actually grounded. It sounds beautiful however, and I can go from clean and calming sound to death metal distortion at the flick of a switch.

I play all different styles of music from metal to classical and I enjoy the versatility of this amplifier. I play a Fender HSS Strat, and if either was stolen I would find that theif and probably beat them with the the guitar and then the amp. Then I would go and buy the same setup again. The only thing that I hate about the amp is the stigma of going out and buying a Fender. I think that they make quality equipment and yet it seems like a stereotype to purchase it. Other then that I think that it is a great amp and I also feel like I own a quality piece of equipment. I have a background in electronics and I have examined the interior of the amp. It looks solid and seems to be well designed.

I have not had this amp for a long time but it seems to be built like a rock. I am very impressed with the attention to detail as well as the genuine Fender styling. The potentiometers seem to turn smoothly and there is no noise or scratchiness when I turn them. It also weighs a ton which is a pretty good indication of the quality. The included footswitch looks as if it may give me problems down the road but seems fairly solid. I would question the quality of the pushbuttons considering the abuse that they will encounter.

This amp has two channels one that has a nice clean classic sound and one with Drive and more Drive option for distortion. I like it for it's simplicity, and yet it's versatility of sound. I had contemplated between this amp and a Line 6. I like that I can vary the sound and yet it is easy to operate. There is a remote Switch included which makes a change in mood and a change in sound seamless. The reverbation unit is excellent. All in all exactly what I was looking for.

goo94
    yeah, but fender have improved the looks, so it looks more retro & posh lol, but its still the same in sound & whatnot. FM = FrontMan, you see? I like the new look & I may buy one when i have 200 saved up. My 10 watt drive amp isnt quite cutting it lol