FM 212R review by Fender

Fender: FM 212R

Purchased from: eBay

The amp is really versatile for what it is but I think it lacks bottom end so you end up dialling the bass up to 9 while treble and middle are on 5 (but that might be because I mainly play a Fender Jaguar through it and that's quite trebly anyway). I tend not to use the Drive channel without the "more Drive" Switch on but it gives a nice gentle overdrive sound without I guess, it's nice for slide guitar anyway. Clean channel is really bright but the Drive channel is quite muddy and buzzes like hell but sounds ok when you're actually playing something. I tend to use the clean channel with my MXR distortion pedal and that's pretty good.

For such a cheap amp (about $200) you aren't going to get amazing tone but this is a real bargain for the price. it's a shame the distortion is a bit muddy because that's the only thing that's wrong with it. I've been using it for about 6 months and I've had no trouble with it and it looks great on stage, like an old silverface. If it was stolen I'd walk after the guy and wait for HIM to get tired then take it back. If he got away, I'd definitely consider getting another one but maybe pay out and get a Fender Deluxe for a better Drive channel. Anyway this is easily one of the best amps for this kind of money and worth considering if you want something cheap to gig with.

Made in China or not, this thing is reliable as they come. I Gig with it regularly without a backup and throw it in a van and it always comes out fine at the other end. My friend has a Fender Super tremolo amp which cost like 4 times as much as this and is always breaking down. I've stood on it and spilled stuff on it and run vocals through it and it still works fine.

I have no idea when the amp was made but I think it was made in China. Pretty standard amp 2x12" speakers and 60w. It is reaaally loud though, never taken it above 6/10 volume on either channel. it's got two inputs (but you can't really use them at the same time with two guitars cos everytime one plays something new, it cuts the other one out), two channels: bass, treble, middle and volume on both channels and a Drive knob on the Drive channel and an option to add "more Drive" with a Switch on the amp or via the footswitch -- I think this came with the amp from new. The reverb is really good for a free effect, I tend to play with it on all the time and can't get used to not having reverb now. Sounds cool as hell anyway.

AC/DC4EVA
    @goo94: did they only change the enclosure or did they change the circuitry?
    goo94
    Punk_Savage
    Is this a good amp for punk/hardcore punk/ska? Cause Im planning on getting this.
    GusIsBored
    guitarkid2113 : Is this the same thing as the Frontman 212R?
    er..yeah fm stands for frontman
    GusIsBored
    slashfan189
    goo94 wrote: sorry for the long time to reply, lol i think the changes are only cosmetic, it appears its only the enclosure, could be wrong but im pretty sure thats it. its still got exactly the same features and all so im fairly sure that everything insides the same (fender would be 1st to tell us all because they would like to big their amps up lol)
    It also has new Speakers
    J.J.G.
    GusIsBored wrote: hey i recently saved up 600$ to buy a new amp but i cant decide which 1 to buy ive so far got it down to three amps: spider 3 75w -600$ vox AD50VT 50w -650$ fender FM212r 100w -550$ plz help
    forget the spider, vox is good. if you have a good dist. pedal buy the fender...
    robin0220
    i have a spider3 150watt and a fender 212r. a spider is a metal amp and a fender is a classic rock blues rock. if you have a fender guitar buy the fm212r it sounds very nice
    robin0220
    i have a spider 3 150watt and a fender 212r. spider is a metal amp and fender 212r a blues clasic/rock amp. if you have a stratocaster buy the fender 212r if you play metal buy the line6
    toohightodie
    I gots one too. I live in Canada, and I got mine from a SHEISTER, in Midl... Ont. Im SURE this twit stole the good Celestions out of it, and replaced them w/ the "Special Design" jobbies, that come in ALL other pix/reviews that I've seen for the DSP version of this amp. I likes it too, and use it, but am SURE I was spanked outta the good 'uns that were supposed to come with it. I split it w/ my JCM 122 TSL, but I still wanna kno if Im RIGHT!... You know how it is...gettin screwed and all. Cant find a good review of it that I trust, and hope someone can help. Mail is the same as my UG name...@live.com. THANX ....Rest WELL Les Paul!!!