FM 212R review by Fender

• Reviewer's score: 6.5 Neat
Fender: FM 212R

Price paid: A$ 550

Purchased from: Allans

I play loudly the majority of the time because I often use it for jamming. I useless 2 Japanese guitars, a Suzuki Super Sounds 70's model strat copy with all single coils and a Greco ss 400 80's model SG copy with 2 humbuckers, the strat is very bright and trebly through this amp, better for clean though it distorts as you start turning it up. The SG is well suited to the distortion end of things which is what I generally play anyhow. It works fine for punk rock, I can find a nice distortion which is suited to 70's style punk rock. The contour Switch makes it sound more metal if you're that way inclined. The more Drive function does less as you turn it up and unless you want the extra feedback. My band has drums, bass and two guitars and this can sing over the lot quite comfortably without turning it past 7. Overall I'd say good for the price.

This amp works fine for me for most of what I do and play at the moment. I like that it is simply a loud rock amp that is worth it's money. I would say though if it were stolen I would not buy another one, though this is more due to the fact that my tastes have evolved since I bought it and I would want more options for sound and tone, overall though a decent amp.

I would say generally reliable though I did blow one speaker after having it for about 6 months, though this was probably due to very heavy use at the time. It was still under warranty so I had it replaced for free. It has since had no problems though it can get fairly warm after a lot of use. I would gig without a back up, it's highly unlikely to break down though all equipment can fail at one time or another.

I think this amp was made in 2006. I use it to play generally punk, blues and rock type styles which it is fine for. The features are basic but that suits me fine. It has clean, overdrive and more Drive channels with a contour Switch to take out the mids and give a more metal sound and a reverb effect dial. Simple set up, sometimes less is more, when I want more options I use pedals anyway. It has the standard 2 inputs, line out, footswitch.