FM 25 DSP review by Fender

• Reviewer's score: 3.3 Poor
Fender: FM 25 DSP

Purchased from: ebay

I have played a MIM Strat, a 60th anniversary Tele and an Ibanez GIO through this amp. The power supply for the power amp stage is not a regulated power supply and the power supply ripple is apparent when you play notes on the high E string. It makes the string sound as if temolo has been applied. The sound in this case is very dissappointing. It sound lovely and clean through headphones because the preamp operates off of regulated power.

I can't comment on how this amp may be a match for my playing. I enjoyed the effects, but was completely turned off when I started to hear the unintended tremolo. From observing the amplifier's response on an oscilloscope I can tell you that the "clean" channel is not clean... Distortion is easily seen regardless of gain setting.

I tried to resolve the power supply ripple issue by replacing the filter caps... What a disaster! When I disconnected the circuit board from the transformer by pulling on the spade lugs several traces on the printed circuit board cracked. It took several hours to diagnose and repair the problem... Only to find that changing the power supply filter caps did not fix the problem. I would not trust this amp to travel anywhere.

I basically play guitar for my own enjoyment and purchased this amp on ebay thinking I was getting a great deal. The amp has the usual 2 channels (clean and overdrive) plus it has effects. I'm probably not fully qualified to comment on all of the features. I have no issues with the effects. I wonder (as have others here) if the amp "modeling" reflects the actual sounds of the actual amps they are intended to model. I'm unimpressed with the "modeling".