FM 65R review by Fender

Fender: FM 65R

Purchased from: Billy Hyde Music

I'm using a Squier Fat Strat through this bad boy and it sounds incredible. In my opinion the tone from Fender amps is just magnificent and obviously paired up with any strat copy this amp would make a great sound. As I said handles any music style you like to play, I use it primarily for a hard rock/emo sound and the mis contour switch on the drive channel comes in very handy to get a nice ballsy sound. Does give a bit of buzz on the drive channel and the reverb is useful but it would be nice to have a chorus effect just for a little bit more versatility. The clean stays clean as high as I've gone so I can't complain there and the distortion ranges from ball stompingly heavy to a nice touch of overdrive.

This amp has done every style I've tried perfectly. It's easiest sound to attain is a nice gutsy hard rock sound thanks to the EQ mid contour on the drive channel and the amp sounds most at home with this sound. I've been playing for 7 years and this amp pairs up beautifully with my guitar and my Ibanez DS7 pedal, it even manages to give a good sound to my Yamaha APX electric/acoustic so it's a very versatile amp. If lost or stolen I'd definately get another. The mid contour is possibly it's handiest feature and you can't help but love that Fender tone. I compared this amo to an Ashton GA80 and Ashton GA100 and this thing is meaner, louder and quite simply superior. As I said, would be nice to have a chorus effect but none the less a truly mighty amp.

I would, and have used this amp at a gig without backup, simply because I can't afford it. I link it to my old Samick 22 watt amp just for a touch of extra volume and to add a bit of bite thanks to the Samicks enhanced high range. I haven't had any problems with this amp and it's built like a tank so theres no worries I can see there.

Brand new when I got it, so made in 2004. This amp does everything I've tried absolutely beautifully. Heavy metal, emo, jazz, blues, hard rock, whatever you wanna do, you can do it with this thing. It's a pretty simple setup, 2 channels, clean and drive and can be bought with a footswitch to switch between them, has pre-out and power in jacks so you can create effects loops or link it up to another amp for a bit of extra grunt, not that you'd need it because this thing is plenty loud. 65 watts but this thing could match it with a Marshall 100 watt on sheer noise. Pleanty of guts for any player here. I use this amp at home and at gigs, works great for home with the volume below 3, for gigs you can crank it up as high as you like and it's perfect for small club gigs. Solid state monster this one.