FM 65R review by Fender

Fender: FM 65R

Price paid: A$ 500

I'm using an Ibanez ART300 with stock LZ1 pick ups. I play mostly rock with a bit of punk and metal thrown in to the mix on top. It suit's me well most of the time when I play it at low volumes, but when I get to practices or whatever, I find myself getting irritated with the overdrive due to an excessive amount of hum, even when it's is still only up a third of the way. The distortion is not very ballsy either. Not only does it need to be turned right up, but it still isn't very heavy. If your a metal head, steer clear of this amp. While I am not a huge fan of the overdrive channel, the clean is fantastic! It has that really sparkly, Fender clean sound to it. In terms of sound, the clean is the one redeeming feature on this amp. It is very very loud for a 65 watt amp, out performing anything else in the same power range and even some other amps in higher ranges.

Overall impression? Being a bit of a rocker, I use the overdrive channel almost all the time. Due to the hum, this does not suit me at all. However, for the average blues of jazz player looking for that classic Fender tone, this is a brilliant practice amp or could even be used for small gigs due to it's incredible volume. However, I would recommend that you don't turn it up super loud as it starts to lose it towards the top end. But if you ever needed to go that loud, you should really have something else. It can put an un-miked drum kit to sham, even at 40% volumes.

I have never had any problems with this amp. It is durable and will withstand a fair beating as long as you don't trash it and just take general care of it. I would use it at a gig without a back-up if I had no other alternative, but because of the terrible hum I get from the overdrive channel, I would personally rather use something else. Very durable and reliable though.

Two channels, clean and overdrive. 3 band EQ on the overdrive, 2 band on the clean. Has a built in reverb, lines in and out for an effects loop, and two inputs depending on whether you have active or passive pick-ups. Very little in the way of variety, only two mildly different overdrive sounds. I keep the mid-contour on all the time, but that's just what I'm in to. My reverb stays off all the time as I despise any reverb in general, but the majority of others love it. Rated 6 due to an overall lack of actual features.