FM 65R review by Fender

Fender: FM 65R

Purchased from: American Guitar Centre - Tonbridge

I'm using a Squier Telecaster Thinline Special Edition with Seymour Duncan humbuckers. There was a slight disconcerting hum when I was first using the amp, however I found out it was the interference from my fishtank! The clean channel is crisp all the way up to '6' which is the louest I've managed to take it at the moment. The distortion is brutal when its full, however can provide a nice blues crunch at about '4'. It easily suits the variety of music that I play and the Reverb is outstanding.

This is a fantastic amp for a huge variety of music styles, despite what you play it will fulfill the need. I've been playing for 7 years, have owned a variety of guitars, my current guitar is a Squier Telecaster Thinline Special Edition with Seymour Duncan Humbuckers, running through a classic crybaby, Boss Super Overdrive, and a Boss Compression/Sustainer 3. I would definitely buy this amp again it's fantastic. I compared this to the Fender champion, Cube 40, and Epiphone Valve Special Combo, and the only amp that came close was the Epiphone. This amp is a must have if you're looking for something with a bit of "pa-zazz".

I would gig without a back up as it is made extremely well. To me the only thing that is slightly concerning is the cloth grill however it will not effect the playing of the amp. As the amp was only bought a week ago there is not, as yet, anything problems with the amp.

2006-the amps versatility is second to none. I play blues/rock/pop-punk, it covers all of these and can stretch further to metal etc. It came with a footswitch for easy channel switching. The clean channel is the typical Fender sound and it is beautiful. My previous amp was a Laney hardcore max, which is put to shame, being in a very similar price range. I currently use this only for bedroom guitaring and practice in my mates garage, it easily suffices for both and could easily gig. The volume for my bedroom is '1' and its by far loud enough, I' like to be able to push it to its actual potential!

donster57
    I have a problem with my amp. It powers up okay however the sound cuts out periodically. I removed the amp circuit board and thoroughly cleaned the pots (all 9 of them) with Iso alcohol then dried them thoroughly with a hair drier (taking care not to overheat components)Then the pots were treated with a spray clean & lube product. The speaker is good with no scratching sounds when moved with gentle hands. All this made no difference to the problem. Does the unit have a modular pre-amp that can be changed out with ease?
    Paulbookwood
    I've had my FM65R for a few years now and it's been fine. I am very easy on my equipment and I don't want to play super loud. 65 watts through a 12" speaker is as loud as I want to play and more than enough to cut through drum kits and other loud instruments. My FM65R has been trouble free. The clean channel is sweet. The drive channel has to be adjusted just right, but I can get a passable tube tone out of it that's great for blues and some rock. Nice amp at a fair price.