Frontman 10G review by Fender

Fender: Frontman 10G

Price paid: C$ 45

Purchased from: Long & McQuades

I have three electric guitars: an Epiphone Les Paul Custom; An Ibanez RG370DX w\EMG Active Pickups; and a Jay Tursor Strat Copy. And no matter what I do the amp sounds extremely treble-y. Even with bass on 10 and Treble on 1 it is a really treble-y sound which really turns me away but as I was saying for a beginner amp its alright as you don't really pay attention to that stuff when first starting. The amp is surprising not very noisy and can get EXTREMELY LOUD! I swear it could pump more volume than my Peavey 50 watt tubed. This amp has no versatility at all. I would say if anything it would be best suited for punk music? The distortion isn't very brutal at all but the clean channel is what got me.

Basing it on being a beginner amp; I guess I can't really complain about too much. Not much versatility when it comes to sound but I mean thats expected when you are buying a 10 Watt solid state amp...If it where stolen or lost I would probably hunt the guy who stole it down and rip his face apart. Not because I think the amp is amazing or anything; it just has sentimental value to me. Its my first amp and I still have it and it still works great!

Well...I've owned this amp for 3 years without a single problem at all. It sounds exactly the same as the day I bought it (which I am fairly certain I bought it used so who knows how old it is!) But to be honest I haven't taken it anywhere or done anything to hurt it at all so I can't really see why anything would go wrong. It just sits in my bedroom and gets used about once a week.

First of all I am basing my ratings on what this amp is: a beginner amp. Just because I may give something an 8 doesn't mean its as good as a Marshall JVM. I am not really sure what year this amp was made in...or even if I bought it new or second hand. This amp has no versatility at all for the music I play. I play Hard Rock and Metal and its just not working out. But in all honesty this was my first amp and it worked out great for my first year playing and it got the job done. This amp has a 2 band EQ (Treble and Bass) and has a volume and gain. Has two channels: clean and Overdrive.

rv_phoenix
    Fender makes great amps, but Frontman isn't a good one. The whole line was meant to appeal to those who don't know much about music. It's a 'bang for the bucks' type of product: noisy, good clean tones (as any solid state) and... that's it. If you want a good practice amp - because 10W allow you to practice only -, you better go for Vox Pathfinder 10. It's more expensive, but it's warmer, more versatile, and has great gain, both on clean and lead tones.