Frontman 10G review by Fender

• Reviewer's score: 4 Poor
Fender: Frontman 10G

I used a Johnson Catalyst back when I used it. It doesn't really suit any particular style. Give it to a beginner with a distortion pedal and they'll do whatever they want for the time, as I did. I played a lot of Tool and System of a Down at the time that I used it. So I rarely even used the amp's tone, instead using a tone-sucking distortion pedal in its place. The overdrive was noisy. The settings didn't effect what little tone was already there. I just cranked the bass at the time and left treble and mid in the middle. No particular reason for those settings at the time, I just picked those settings early on and never touched them again. There isn't much variety in its sounds. The overdrive is weak. There isn't much tone there.

When I had it, I played a lot of 90's alternative rock and metal. Nowadays I don't really play any of that. I am into really nice clean tones and light overdrive these days. I play a lot of classic rock now and some other random modern bands that remind me of classic rock. I've been playing for 3 years. I liked that it was a good amp for beginner at the time. What's bad about this amp is its lack of any real tone and the overdrive sounds terrible. I would recommend a few other amps to any beginner before this one, but I got this for practically nothing. I wish I had gone with a Roland microcube, but whatever. This one served its purpose at the time. Don't buy this. That's all I really have to say. If you want a good beginner amp, go with a Roland microcube or a low watt tube amp.

I never really gigged with it. The amp was actually already quite old and used when I got it. Hence the low price tag. I actually don't have mine anymore because it broke. It was breaking down when I got it and I used it up until it couldn't go any longer. The back panel was falling out. The treble and mid knobs eventually stopped working. The headphone jack didn't work. It was a piece of junk but it was alright for the time for a beginner.

I'm not sure what year mine was made. I got it used from a friend in 2008. And even then, it looked pretty old and used already. This amp isn't very versatile. It was my first amp and that's really all I recommend it for: beginners. Well, even for a beginner, I would recommend a better amp. But I got this thing for $5 so I guess it was worth it for a beginner to just have something to start with. It has a tiny bit of overdrive that really sounds like crap. Even at that time when I barely understood tone, I thought the overdrive sounded horrible. It was just scratchy and painful to listen to. I guess the clean sounded decent for a beginner who doesn't care too much about tone. It's one channel, no effects, has a headphone jack. I only used this in the bedroom. I had to borrow someone else's amp when I had to play for a school talent show.

LivinJoke84
    FreekBos wrote: If you want small and light. Buy the Blackstar HT-5. This 5Watt amp is LOUD and full tube. Fantastic! They are a lot more expensive but I even gig with mine live. (I got 17 years experience with guitars)
    Not really a fair comparison. This fender amp costs about 40, The HT-5 (which i own) cost nearly 300. And i wouldnt really describe it as light either. The fender amp is clealy aimed at someone who travels a lot, a guitar tutor perhaps who visits students houses. I wouldnt wanna be lugging my HT-5 around to to or three houses a night!