Frontman 15G review by Fender

• Reviewer's score: 4.5 Poor
Fender: Frontman 15G

Purchased from: Music and Arts Center

Now, I was awful at guitar when I bought this thing. So it sounded good to me then. Now that I've greatly progressed, this thing sounds like crap (I still have this). I can't tell if it's because I've gotten better or because the amp just declined sound wise. But I'm pretty sure it's the former. But I know it's broken. When I turn it on, there's a mad crackling sound emitting from it for at least two minutes. It usually goes away if I switch to clean and then back, but come on. I did absolutely nothing to break this thing, it's been taken good care of. In terms of actual sound, now it sounds like crap. I use a PPH setup with my guitar (an Ibanez suckfest GRX40). But thinking back, the OD is pretty warm sounding. The clean channel is ok, but for some reason makes my guitar sound flat a lot of the time. Strumming with this thing on clean is murder to the ears. It makes me absolutely have to hook my chorus pedal up, which is pretty sad. I'm gonna give the sound a two, because it basically has gone downhill. This thing seriously makes me hate playing guitar sometimes (a one would be the Ibanez IBZ 10, which I also own, and is the worst amp I've ever heard).

I play just about everything except for metal, and this suits none of it. I hate this thing with a passion, which is pretty sad since other Fender amps are amazing. I've been playing nearly two years, and I'm still stuck with this thing because I have no money. This thing is strictly for beginners. I play it through an Ibanez GRX40, the guitar that came in the Ibanez starter pack (the guitar is the only thing worth buying in that pack, by the way). I would get this if you are a beginner looking for a cheap amp, but I think it's worth it to talk you parents into the Fender 25R as an alternative beginner amp. That amp's a huge step above this one. Just take my word for it, avoid buying this thing, it's all downhill from there.

First of all, if you gig with this, you should be shot. But this amp has broken down, sometimes ceasing to work completely. It's sound quality has only gone downhill. I've done nothing to it either.

Two drives: clean and overdrive. mid, bass, treble, gain. Silver grille cloth, Fender jewel emblem. I think they call it "black face cosmetics." Headphone jack, and auxillary plugs (by the four dollar cable and hook up your CD player). No effects or anything, that's about it. The features are all a beginner needs.