Frontman 15G review by Fender

• Reviewer's score: 6.8 Neat
Fender: Frontman 15G

Purchased from: Voigt Music

I've used a Squire Strat. It's so cheap, they coudn't add the -ocaster? Anyway, I used a standard Squire Strat. I don't remember using anything else, because I haven't used it in a while. Not since I got my first Marshall, which is a Marshall MG15DFX. I didn't really play any style on it, because I didn't know any msongs while I used it. It broke down before I could learn anything. But it was good for the Star Spangled Banner and the songs I had in any music books from my trumpet, or a Christmas song book. I wasn't ever able to do much with this amp and use it to potential. But I did use it with a Bad Dog Distortion, which added some balls to the Star Spangled Banner, Ode to Joy, and Auld Lang Syne.

This was a good match for the patriotic and Christmas songs I played. I don't know how it would do with the other songs I play. I've been playing for about a year and three months. I don't know how that relates to the amp, but I want to answer all the questions. I own a Marshall MG15DFX, like I said several times before (If you can, don't buy this, buy the Marshall). I also have a Bad DOg Distortion, made by Washburn. I didn't know my distortion pedal was going to be such a good one at such a low price. If it were stolen, I'd be angered, but only because I'm selling it once I fix it, and I'd be out fifty bucks. I have a better amp, though. I love nothing about it. Like I stated before, I didn't get the chance to know it's personality. Then again, it broke down, which forced me to buy my beloved Marshall. I only got the amp because it came with the guitar. I wish it was a little more reliable, and had at least reverb. But that would be the 15R. Other than that, it's good for a practice amp. That would be why it's included in the Squire Strat Pack. But you could buy it for around $100. That's just what I saw when Sam Goody was still open.

Reliability was kinda okay, but it broke down within three months of use. Definitely NOT anything you would use for a show. This is a bedroom amp. The input jack broke. I asked a guy at the local music shop about it, and he said it would be a "simple soldering job". The jack is loose, so I opened that baby up, and looked around. I think I could fix it, I just gotta ask my neighbor for his soldering kit. I wouldn't use it without a backup for a gig. I wouldn't think about using it for a gig. I would use my aforementioned Marshall MG15DFX for a gig, if I ever got a band together, and then a gig. But that wouldn't be big enough for a big show.

This is a good amp for beginners, but not really much else. It has two channels: the clean channel, and an overdrive channel. It also has three EQ settings: treble, middle, and bass. It also has a Drive control, and gain. It's a self-explanatory amp. It's basic and easy. Not much to it, and it's only 15 watts, I guess, but the panel on the back says 38 or something like that. What I loove about this amp is that you can plug a DVD Player, a CD Player, or a video game console into it through the two little jack-things. It's pretty loud, especially when you dance around and pretend to play Van Halen when nobody's home.

##_Guitar-newb
    you guys are dumb. The distortion on this thing Owns a Vox Ad sounds 10x more valve than a vox Ad Vt
    rockergurl09
    I can't believe that the employees at the guitar store said the 15G was the best I could get for 90 dollars. I sounded good to me at first, as I was a otal guitar noob, but I've progressed a ton and also discovered there were better amps out there for 90 dollars. Sad... Great distortion, but other than that, this thing is a nice looking box of trash.
    dimefan1
    this amp is terrible the distortion is terrible, and does make an annoying hissing sound, but there is no noise gate when you get to about 2 on the volume it is really loud, then when you go past 2 it hardly gets louder i play metal, and if you do too and are thinking about getting this, dont, trust me the distortion on this thing uninspires me cause it sounds like shit the clean channel is decent my recommendation, spend more and get a different amp
    doive
    I had a choice when i was a beginner. A fender 15 ar a peavey rage. I went for the peavey (which is good for 45) cos the fender was rubbish. If you can avoid this then do.
    punkman_123
    Idiots! This amp is a practice amp. "Never use this at a gig" haha DUH! If this amp caters for your first ever gig, you're doing something wrong. Practice amp!
    JadeFalcon5
    i just use mine to use at school and like jazz and pep band practices, but i use my marshall at concerts and games : P
    SGMAN911
    I think that this a great amp it can take a beating! i wired up so many pedals to this thing and im suprised it didnt blow up, it can play veryyy loudly over drums bass and anything else...a choir or wheatever you want
    blackwings123
    im poor its the only reason i have it.. the buzz annoys the crap outta me but then again im poor so i put up with it!
    Briscoe06
    DIS IS A GREAT AMP. IT MAKES A NICE NOISE,LOTS OF DISTORTION BUT THERES ALWAYS A BUZZ AND THATS BAD
    yorkshireterror
    Actaully, to everyone who said its 15 watts...its 37. Okay for beginners, once I get my Fender Hot Rod DeVille 212 I'll use this thing as my mp3 player speakers. Distortions not too bad, cleans okay, tons of feedback.
    rocknrollrocks
    Ive got this amp too, man, it is a pain. it gives me that buzzing rot, and it just suddenly buzzes really loud and i have to jiggle the lead in the amp input to stop it. seriously a shocker. i giged with it once, NEVER AGAIN. it was feedbacking so bad so i dont reccomend u buy this. the only thing its real good for is playing louder than u expect.
    Daveskater
    i must agree really, it's not the most amazing amp ever, but it's only a 15 watt practice amp so you're not really going to use it at a gig but if you get the squier strat pack (like i did) then it's not so bad. the hissing noise is quite annoying but like i say, you wouldn't use it at a gig anyway. unless you want some super fuzz though, don't set the gain at 10. that's my advice. oh, and don't but it unless it's in a set. get a marshall or peavey or something instead.
    selloutpunx
    lesson learned. play it before you buy it. seriously, don't be shy when you go shopping at a music store. i would never buy a product without trying it first.
    schecterguy
    Well i needed an amp.. so i bought this one. And bottom line is... its good for the price. and its pretty cheap