Frontman 15G review by Fender

Fender: Frontman 15G

Purchased from: Sinfonia, M.I.T.

With this amp I use a Squier Affinity Series Stratocaster with three normal single-coil pickups, and a Boss MD-2 Mega Distortion effects pedal. The styles of music I play more often are heavy metal (specially for solos), hard rock, rock, grunge and punk rock. Although, in the end I play almost every kind of music, and this amp suits me just fine. The coordination between the Frontman's tone and Drive controls and the pickup and tone controls of the guitar lets you adjust the type of sound you want, easy and accurately. I especially like to play dark, powerful metal songs (like "Stinkfist" from Tool, for example), and this amp delivers the sound perfectly. The clean channel sounds perfect, even with the volume all the way up to 10 (max). Open chords, barred chords, you name it. They sound very bright, clear, and with a nice sustain. The overdrive is a nice feature, producing a warm, full sound, with that tradicional rock feeling, but you can adjust it to get a more "biting", acid touch. The only downside appears when you start pumping the gain Drive. The more you turn the gain knob up, the more "crackling", "buzzing" and "humming" you will get. So, you need to carefully adjust the Drive volume/gain ratio to avoid this (when I pump up the gain from my Boss MD-2, this also happens, so it's not a problem in the Drive channel). So, I give the sound an 8 rating because of the low gain tolerance. Otherwise, it would get an 9, because the sound is really awesome, with good quality, no matter what genre of music you play. By the way, this amp sounds way more powerful than the mere 15 watts it has.

As I already said, the Fender Frontman 15G is a good match for any kind of music. Sounds great in any way possible, thanks to it's versatility. If it were stolen, I would definitely buy another one (maybe a Frontman 25R, because of the extra 0 Watt power and the included Fender Reverb, if I had the money to spend). I love everything about it. This amp seems to be able to stand an earthquake, even if the roof falls on top of it. The gain tolerance could be a little higher, but I'm sure you can live with a little of noise if you absolutely have to play with high gain (like sometimes I do). I think this amp isn't missing any important feature. Maybe a remote channel select foot control, or an output to plug one. But I can't think of anything else a cheap and simple amp like this one could have. Overall, it's a well-conceived amp, and I recommend it to begginers (as a first amp) or pros Who need a second or a practice amp (but it's not a choice as a main amp for a pro).

As far as reliability and durability goes, this amp is extremely good. It is very sturdy and compact, looks strong like a rock. I frequently play standing on top of it, with no problem, and I'm not light (my weight is around 70 Kg, plus the clothes, shoes, and the Strat). I take good care of it, but I also demand very much from it, sometimes I treat it a little roughly, and I take the sound power as far as I can, to the limit. The fact is, it can take it, and I haven't got a single problem yet. I can absolutely depend on it, and I would use it in a gig without a backup. Sometimes I am playing steadily for hours, with the volume and the Drive (or the Boss MD-2's distortion) screaming at full power, and the amp sounds great all the time.

Okay, I got this amp as part of the Squier Frontman Pack. It's features are: 15 watt power, 2 channels (clean/drive), auxiliary input (for CD player, drum machine, whatever) and a headphone jack. It has a Normal Volume control knob (for clean sound), a Drive on/off Switch (for turning on the overdrive), Drive volume and Drive gain knobs, and treble, middle and bass control knobs. Because of it's versatility in it's simplicity, and the nice, intuitive-use features, I absolutely recommend this amp as a begginer amp or as a second/practice amp for a pro.

musicfreak003
    ##_Guitar-newb wrote: you guys are dumb. The distortion on this thing Owns a Vox Ad sounds 10x more valve than a vox Ad Vt
    The distortion on this sounds like a cow getting raped. and my clean channel is also distorted (even after i took it to get fixed)cuz it has reliability problems