Frontman 15G review by Fender

• Reviewer's score: 4.3 Poor
Fender: Frontman 15G

I've used this, and a few other people have used it, with a lot of guitars - I've used it with the starter Squier Strat, a MIM Strat, a Tele, my Ibanez SZ320, and a Gibson LP. All guitars work pretty equally well on it. It tends to buzz a little more loudly around other electric devices than other amps. This works well for ONE thing I do - big band jazz. It was very handy to take to big band jazz performances that I did, where it was pretty quiet (I didn't have to turn up past 4 or 5) so there was no yucky clean sound. (The clean sounds great low, but very bad and clippy at higher volumes.) Clean channel works well for nice quiet, warm jazz chords and rhythm work. Not good for blues. Not good for Metallica-style chorused arpeggios either. But there's one thing... although I stopped taking it after I got a Hot Rod Deluxe anyway. The gain is godawful. It is not t3h br00talz. There is no crushing overdrive. And the clean doesn't work particularly well with pedals, so it's not easy to get a good gainy sound either. Not a good lead tone. No sustain at all, just sounds very trashy. On lower gain settings it is passable for bluesy rhythm sounds.

This is a subpar practice amp. Nothing more. It is dirt cheap, but I would advise saving up for a Roland Cube, Vox Valvetronix, Peavey Vypyr, even a Line 6 Spider or Marshall MG - they're all better for practice than this. It's just not comparable. I did not compare it to other products because I was young and knew nothing about guitar. I would not advise this for a first amp. Or any amp.

If you are using this for a gig, as another review stated, you should be shot. But, this is the one other bright spot I have found for this, it has never broken down on me. One time I thought it did, but it was just my guitar's wiring... and I've beat the hell out of this thing. So I would give it about an 8. Points taken off because Fender would certainly not give you any useful customer support. And if this broke... I would buy something else.

This is just a little solid state, 1x8 combo amp. It does not have many features, really - not even the reverb found on the 15R and 25R. It has a Gain channel and a Clean channel. Not footswitchable. Bass, Mid, and Treble controls for EQ. It has a jack for head phones, which is handy, and an auxiliry input for a CD player or something, supposedly. The aux in is pretty useless. 4 for features, because you are not going to have much flexibility here.

minnerman51
    i have had this amp for 3 years and its still pumpin. i have a cheap walmart guitar and it sounds ok on this amp.i paid $50 bucks for it and i would have paid 75$