Frontman 15G review by Fender

• Reviewer's score: 6 Neat
Fender: Frontman 15G

Purchased from: Roberston Music

I play a MIM strat through it, because I wanted all matching gear when I got it. It works well for a beginner to not be overwhelmed with sound possibilities. The clean channel has a kind of old-style quality to the sound in that it's not the best, but you still get the message across. On the clean channel it does lack in volume especially if you are trying to play with anything else. The distortion is great though. The thing really find it's voice with the gain volume at 3-4. I've only gotten it up to about around 7 without bleeding ears. It has a great kind of Bush-like distortion. With the distorted channel volume is not an issue at all. It can stand its own, probably not for an actual gig though. It does have a pretty loud 60 cycle hum on the distorted channel. I did have a problem with it picking up radio frequency really quietly, but I got a new monster cable and a new pickguard with foil on the backside of it and that has killed the interference. Basically, better cable = better sound.

As I said before it is a great first amp to get to see if your really going to learn to play without being overwhelmingly complicated. However, this amp will not be enough with out buying some sort of effect or something to change up the sound every now and then. Basically it gets boring! I would recomend getting the 15R so that at least you'll have reverb to play with.

This amp is a tank. I have an older model where the knob panel is recessed under the edges of the box(like a lot of 80's and early 90's model amps), so they are pretty well protected. Mine has the black expanded metal grill over the speaker, black rubberized coating and chrome corner pieces. It has been through several tumbles to result in no damage. I say tumble because it wasn't just a simple drop. I have done nothing to take care of the amp or to ensure it stays in good condition and it still functions like new. There is no crackling in the electronics, no surges in volume, no wierd noises or problem with the integrity of the system.

This is a bare bones amp. I'm not going to list the knobs, but it's a basic 2 channel solid state starter amp. So as far as features go it is pretty poor. Mine is an older model with only a 1/4" headphone jack and a jack for an extention speaker(useless for a beginner).

dementiacaptain
    really fender did hit it on the head with this amps gain. but yeah not gigworthy, just enough that you can do normal high gain tricks on a practice amp. kinda nice actually.
    annostyle
    This amp is only a practice amp. A good tone is not possible with this amp. For such a small practice amp, it is uncomfortably loud.
    shredhead777
    i hate the massive POP sound this makes when I turn it on. I got this as a beginner many years ago and thought it sucked then...suprisingly it didn't get better. suck my balls Fender this amp sucks
    Necrolysis
    yorkshireterror wrote: Actaully, to everyone who said its 15 watts...its 37. Okay for beginners, once I get my Fender Hot Rod DeVille 212 I'll use this thing as my mp3 player speakers. Distortions not too bad, cleans okay, tons of feedback.
    ugh...that's input wattage...that's how many watts the damned thing uses...the OUTPUT wattage is 15...please know what you're talking about before you post ignorant comments...
    Necrolysis
    Ali-b912 wrote: i ripped the front cover off of mine so i can see the speaker. i plan to assualt it with a screwdriver or something to get free fuzz distortion! anyone know any where u can find info about ppl modding these? they are rubbish standard and i thot someone must know how to morph it so its acceptable. i find its only use is to impress stupid people who think it ruls because its a fender. also i have tried plugging this thru a marshall MS-2, the mini pocket size one. with this as the first amp the ms2 distorted at basically no volume and the other way round i had to turn everything up to ten on the drive channel to hear it. ive also tried putting one of these thru another and it doesnt seem to do anything. i was hoping for a cheap 30 watt but it didnt work
    you don't stage a 15 watt through a 2-3 watt amp if you want the 2-3 watt to come out unscathed...