Frontman 15R review by Fender

Fender: Frontman 15R

Purchased from: Richardson Music

I use a *****y Ibanez guitar with an SSH setup, the distortion sounds great on a full humbucker. Works perfect when you need to play punk with high treble, and even works excellent when you need louder bass and more of a crunch for heavier rock. The amp isn't noisy, you get the hiss, as would any amp you ever use on high power. The clean channel sounds nice, even if it's loud, I've never had any problems playing it loud, it keeps steady and doesn't give out if you're playing anything too high or too loud. The distortion is loud as could be, great for any blow-your-pants-off music.

How many times do I have to say I play general rock music, I don't know, but it sounds great. I love playing "older" music like AC/DC or Guns 'N' Roses, and it has a great sound, when used with punk music it couldn't be better. I've been playing for about a year and a half, I don't own any better guitars due to lack of cash. If this amp were stolen or lost or ANYTHING, I'd definetly buy it again, it's got all the tone I'm looking for. I love the distortion, couldn't ask for more with the clean, my favorite feature, like any other, would be the drive button. Only thing I don't like is the wattage, I'd go for the 25R next time, the extra volume could be good enough for a gig. I used a B.C. Rich Body Art cheap guitar on this same amp and still got a great sound, if not a better one, anything could sound better than my crummy Ibanez. I tried another amp, too, it was a 15 watt Ibanez GTX-10 something or other, and the Frontman just blows it out off the stage. I'd take the Frontman over any other 15 watt anyday. If you're gonna get this amp, I say go for it, it's great, and if you don't think you'll use the Reverb, then get the 15G. It's the same great amp, 10 bux cheaper, no reverb dial. I personally like the reverb though, just in case I ever want a little extra sound in there.

The amp is REALLY durable, has great casing and it can take hits. Not sure if I'd use it at a gig, only because I might want something a little louder, but hey it's all preference! Amp hasn't EVER broken down on me, once I thought I burned it out, but I just didn't have the volume up, great amp that will last anyone a long time, you don't even need to turn it up to full power to get good volume, so it shouldn't blow out anytime soon.

Versatile amp, good for rock and punk and anything else that requires distortion. It has two channels, clean and drive, also includes one reverb dial. Has a headphone jack, but I don't have any headphones to use it with. It has all the features I expected it to, great for a practice amp. I don't use the reverb effect very much, probably because I can't hear it, but I think I just need to turn the volume up a bit more, an extra effect never hurt anyone though. I only use the amp for practicing, it's pretty loud, 15 watts but sounds like it's more. If I had a gig to play at, I'd probably go with something louder, but for practice or maybe a tiny show indoors for your friends it'd be great.